WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default A Walk in the Woods Movie?

Newman and Redford? I'd rather see Chris Rock with Jim Belushi as Katz.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/5234.html

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

oh brother. why is the world so fascinated with that book? i hate it.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Default Hmmm

If you'd like to hike the AT in relative solitude, you should plan soon.
    I see another surge in thru-hikers in the future.

Registered Troll
    Images

Let's hope this falls through. Please .........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TankHiker
    If you'd like to hike the AT in relative solitude, you should plan soon.
    I see another surge in thru-hikers in the future.
    So true, probably a larger surge that the book initially had. The moviegoing public is so much larger than the literary public, plus this movie would have the buzz of a Newman/Redford finale.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default movie...maybe???????

good to see "BUTCH & SUNDANCE" gonna go @ it one more time...
    too bad they'll give creedence to a book highly HATED by the HIKING COMMUNITY.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird
    Be careful about which community you speak for. I consider myself a part of the hiking community, as do many of my friends. I enjoyed the book, so did they. As a piece of literature, it was well written and funny, evidenced by its life on the best seller list. Hate is such a strong word to use over a piece of literature. What was really so offensive about it? So he didn't hike the whole thing. Many people don't. He doesn't offer himself up as an individual who did. Most people make way too much over this book. Is it because it deals with a subject we all know and love?

Having said that, I do not believe it would translate well into a movie. Two guys, rediscovering themselves? Weak plot line at best...

Registered Troll
    Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
    Having said that, I do not believe it would translate well into a movie. Two guys, rediscovering themselves? Weak plot line at best...
    All these two superstars have to do is breath and everyone in Hollywood will make their wish come true.

If this happens, I'll get as much A.T. hiking in before it opens then move to Montana.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird

well, a lot of hikers do take themselves very seriously, but there are a lot of us that don't mind a good laugh at our own expense.

I enjoyed the book. Had to raise my eyebrows at their hiking methods, but it was very funny in places, and I thought well written as were his other books. Esecially the AUtralian one.

I have the CD of Walk in the Woods and listened to it on a road trip recently. It is even funnier when narrated.
    Frosty

Default it's only a book..

I enjoyed the book with all its shortcomings. My feeling as to why some thru hikers start frothing at the mouth when you mention the book is:

1) They never read it and have a distorted view of what it ACTUALLY says. For instance they believe Bryson trashed the trail, when it was actually Katz that "flung it."
    2) It reminds them of what neophytes they were when they started their hike. They want to remember themselves as the “experienced” hikers they were when they finished.
    3) Bryson made money on the book. They see it as making money off the trail (which is a sin ), or they are mad they didn’t think of it first.
    4) His hike was a “failure.” Well, then you’d also have to condemn the rest of the possible 90% that don’t finish as well. I don’t view his hike as a failure, he just redefined his goals like a lot of other hikers have done.

Bottom line it is just a book. You ought to be glad he wrote it so you can feel better about your own hike. And, Frosty, I also got the CDs of Bryson reading the book. I converted it to MP3 files (65Mb total) and have it on the added 512MB SD flash card for my 3oz. MP3 player/FM radio/audio recorder that I carry with me as I hike. Always brings a smile to my face as I’m climbing to some ridge and think of Katz lost off trail up near Cloud Pond.

Images

I thought parts of it were good, and I thought parts of it were not so good. It is a funny read, but I would rather see Kelsy Grahmer as Bryson and John Goodman as Katz. Maybe they will get someone hot to play Jensine
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    . Maybe they will get someone hot to play Jensine
    now that is FUNNY
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Haha, they wont accept my film at Sundance, but now he wants to do a movie on it...heheheh...I guess he heard how well the screening went on Main Street during Sundance.

SGT Rock-"Maybe they will get someone hot to play Jensine."
    If you had been there in 2000 when Jensine was having a discussion about Bryson, that's about as hot as it gets. BTW, Bill Bryson was there standing beside me. Only this was a 70 year old guy whose name just also happened to be Bill Bryson. He did sign their register saying that: "Rainbow Springs is now Bill Bryson approved."

Images

I spent a month at RS in 2000..got Jenisine to autograph my copy of " A walk in the woods"

say wrote

"Bill Bryson should stick with writing books and keeps his ass of the Appalchian trail"
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    I enjoyed the book with all its shortcomings. My feeling as to why some thru hikers start frothing at the mouth when you mention the book is:

1) They never read it and have a distorted view of what it ACTUALLY says. For instance they believe Bryson trashed the trail, when it was actually Katz that "flung it."
    2) It reminds them of what neophytes they were when they started their hike. They want to remember themselves as the “experienced” hikers they were when they finished.
    3) Bryson made money on the book. They see it as making money off the trail (which is a sin ), or they are mad they didn’t think of it first.
    4) His hike was a “failure.” Well, then you’d also have to condemn the rest of the possible 90% that don’t finish as well. I don’t view his hike as a failure, he just redefined his goals like a lot of other hikers have done.

Bottom line it is just a book. You ought to be glad he wrote it so you can feel better about your own hike. And, Frosty, I also got the CDs of Bryson reading the book. I converted it to MP3 files (65Mb total) and have it on the added 512MB SD flash card for my 3oz. MP3 player/FM radio/audio recorder that I carry with me as I hike. Always brings a smile to my face as I’m climbing to some ridge and think of Katz lost off trail up near Cloud Pond.
    Well, I don't froth at the mention of the book. I recognize that Bryson is a very skilled writer. I chuckled when I first read it -- at least the beginning.

But I do think it is a very dishonest book that is based more on library research than any genuine interest or reportage involving the Appalachian Trail. It's obvious to me Bryson didn't enjoy the trail experience, nor liked anyone he met on the trail. He took the easy way out.

The whole thing is mostly a fabrication. There are so many fascinating people found on the trail. Somehow, Bryson missed them all and settled for a couple of imagined stereotypes.

I continue to believe it a shame that he didn't make the effort to do an account of an Appalachian Trail experience. He settled instead for a bit of imagined summer froth.

A well done movie might be helpful to the trail. But I suspect the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

Weary

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    But I do think it is a very dishonest book that is based more on library research than any genuine interest or reportage involving the Appalachian Trail. It's obvious to me Bryson didn't enjoy the trail experience, nor liked anyone he met on the trail. He took the easy way out.

The whole thing is mostly a fabrication. There are so many fascinating people found on the trail. Somehow, Bryson missed them all and settled for a couple of imagined stereotypes.
    I wonder if this is the perception of most hiker/readers? If so, it explains a great deal about the negative feelings towards the book. The book is not about the trail - it is about his reacquaintance with the United States (hence the title: A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail) and the trail just happens to be his vessel for that. If it were about hiking, I would expect there to be a great deal more about his trip and experiences.

Images

I vote Cameron Diaz as Jensine!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000139/
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

I always swoon over

http://www.hissandpop.com/celebrities/f/sallyfield/

I can just see her now..with the cig in her lips..

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    I vote Cameron Diaz as Jensine!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000139/
    Cameron Diaz should be cast as the "typical" hiker babe.

Roseanne would be perfect for Jensine.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++