Section hiked Neels Gap to Woody Gap SOBO on Sunday. I saw plenty of signs saying what was closed to camping without a bear canister -- the 5 miles of trail from Jerrard Gap to Neels Gap. What I did not see is an explanation of that particular trail section, that is, the most difficult 5 mile stretch of trail to date for a NOBO thru-hiker. Furthermore, the only official place to camp prior to the bear area is Lance Creek, a couple of miles before the bear area. While 7-8 miles does not seem very long, I talked to a number of thrus this weekend that were averaging no more than 6 miles per day.

A lot more information should be given, as early as possible, so that the thrus can plan accordingly. Detailed water situation, trail difficulty (long sustained uphill followed by steep rocky downhill), last chance to camp without canister, at the very least.

Ideally though, the thrus should have a way to camp on Blood Mountain. Maybe someone can put in a bear box, or provide loaner (or rental) bear canisters? Trail magic at Jerrard Gap?

BTW: Trail was in great shape from Unicoi Gap to Woody Gap.