WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SOBO late June, early July 2013

I'm planning to thru-hike the AT after graduation. As of now, I don't have anyone going along. Who is going at this time?

I'm not thru hiking but I'm hoping to be out for about three months this summer hiking Southbound. I am probably leaving around June 10th or so. When do you graduate?

jwill11489- check the southbounders unite thread; there will be several of us starting about that time, several of them recent grads. We will be starting sometime between June25th and July 1st. Good to have you along. Happy trails.

It's "2013 southbounders unite" under the thruhikers class of 2013 subforum. Some of us are going to be at the Southern Ruck at Nantahala Outdoor Center 18-20 Jan. Amplexus will be presenting his 2011 SOBO!

It seems like most of the sobo crowd is gonna be new grads, mostly because of the time constraint im guessing. but yeah Im starting either july 5th or 6th

Default SOBO late June, early July 2013

Lukabrazi- I graduate in may, and plan to start mid-June.

Melaniebk- thanks for the info

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ifusaidplease View Post
    It seems like most of the sobo crowd is gonna be new grads, mostly because of the time constraint im guessing. but yeah Im starting either july 5th or 6th
    SOBO crowd includes recent grads, retirees, job in-betweeners, marriage in-betweeners, asylum escapees, etc., just like the NOBO crowd. But because of the May graduation for semester system universities, there is probably a heavier weighting to recent grads.

Images

My experience (2006) was that the SOBO crew is very heavily weighted towards the young. None of the other SOBO hikers I met were too old to be my children. There was a guy about my age who started weeks ahead of me. And another one who started a week ahead of me and who dropped out before I started. Stumpknocker and Mrs. gorp were doing a flip flop that year. But, yes, SOBOs are often recent grads, both college and some high school.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I'm graduating June 22 and am planning on leaving soon after. I'm a 23 year old female with lots of hiking experience. Will probably start around 10-15 miles per day the first week and move on up from there, 20-25 as strength increases. Is this your first time hiking the AT?

If anyone from this thread is interested in meeting up, I and one other have already made plans to at least shuttle to the park together. PM me for details.

What day are you shuttling to the park together? I'd be interested in joining with you guys to do at least that.

Quote Originally Posted by srvand02 View Post
    If anyone from this thread is interested in meeting up, I and one other have already made plans to at least shuttle to the park together. PM me for details.
    Actually, two more are shuttling in with us......a group I have been talking to is starting the same day as me.

I plan to take a greyhound to bangor on June 25th-26th. Take the CYR bus to Medway. Get picked up by the AT Lodge and take advantage of their SOBO special. Get shuttled into Baxtor on the morning of the 27th to summit Katahdin. Going to camp at KSC on the 27th then head south.

Come join us!
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Quote Originally Posted by kaypage07 View Post
    I'm graduating June 22 and am planning on leaving soon after. I'm a 23 year old female with lots of hiking experience. Will probably start around 10-15 miles per day the first week and move on up from there, 20-25 as strength increases. Is this your first time hiking the AT?
    If you end up starting on the 27th, we will probably being seeing a lot of each other for awhile. I plan to put up some major miles when I start so that I am not too far behind everyone when i get back on after my brothers wedding.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

I'm also from from around Greensboro and I'll be starting SoBo in the last week of june once i graduate. I don't have an exact date figured out yet though

++ New Posts ++