WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Fresh eggs?

Default Fresh eggs?

Does anyone else carry fresh eggs while hiking or have you while you thru hiked? If so, how'd it work out? I'm a big fan of poaching an egg in some ramen.
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

Coghlans makes a two egg holder that I sometimes take on weekend hikes. Unrefrigerated eggs will last several days as long as they haven't been washed, but I don't wait that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantsbane View Post
    Does anyone else carry fresh eggs while hiking or have you while you thru hiked? If so, how'd it work out? I'm a big fan of poaching an egg in some ramen.
    i usually carry them. plus bacon

Store bought eggs will fine raw or boiled, for days i'd say a week really.

Now fresh eggs on the other hand will be good for 2 maybe three weeks in cool to warm weather. With refrigeration or weather simulating that, eggs from my flock are good beyond a month, not that they last that long generally.

Images

there are a few threads on eggs. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sear...archid=3163665
    somebody mentioned Vaseline on them to extend time.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    Store bought eggs will fine raw or boiled, for days i'd say a week really.

Now fresh eggs on the other hand will be good for 2 maybe three weeks in cool to warm weather. With refrigeration or weather simulating that, eggs from my flock are good beyond a month, not that they last that long generally.
    +1 Donde beat me to it. I also keep chickens and if you can get a fresh egg or two from a local farmstand those eggs will be good for 2 or 3 weeks in warm weather, much longer than you'll need to carry them. Storebought eggs on the other hand have had the "bloom" (natural outer coating) washed off and will go bad much faster. I'd say 2 or 3 days, possibly up to 5 depending on the weather.

As for carrying them, I use an egg carton. Yup. A normal egg carton. If it's good enough to keep them from breaking in shipping then it should hold up on the trail. Just don't bury it in your pack and you'll be fine. It's ok to cut the carton down to size as well. Plus, you can always use the carton to start a fire in a pinch. Enjoy those eggs!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

never done it . But....I read that if you put an egg into boiling water for 5 seconds, it will be good for months.....?

I almost always carry them. Never had one go bad yet. Sometimes boiled, sometimes fresh, always good and very nutritious. Last time out overnight poached two for breakfast with ham, mushrooms, and cheese. Mmmm.

I don't refrigerate eggs even when I'm at home...they will last 6 weeks on my kitchen counter...maybe longer, but that's as far as I've gone...they say eggs are good for 100 days after they are laid, and most europeans don't refrigerate them...that is a totally american idea.

I would think that live chickens would be a terrible idea though...

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I don't refrigerate eggs even when I'm at home...they will last 6 weeks on my kitchen counter...maybe longer
    If it takes you six weeks to finish them off, why are you even buying them?

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    there are a few threads on eggs. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sear...archid=3163665
    somebody mentioned Vaseline on them to extend time.
    Thirty years ago, my family spent a month living and sailing on a sailboat in the Caribbean. We lived on the boat, and my dad had stocked it with provisions - which included dozens of eggs - before we left. The eggs had been coated with Vaseline, and once a day, we had to flip them over. I remember someone wanting to flip each individual egg, and my parents laughing telling us to just flip the containers. We ate eggs throughout our trip.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I don't refrigerate eggs even when I'm at home...they will last 6 weeks on my kitchen counter...maybe longer, but that's as far as I've gone...they say eggs are good for 100 days after they are laid, and most europeans don't refrigerate them...that is a totally american idea.
    fresh & provided that they are not washed, or store bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nat View Post
    I would think that live chickens would be a terrible idea though...
    in mexico the indians hike with live chickens that are cobbled.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Consider the possibilities. A fresh egg every day, and if the chicken slacks off...
    Attached Images Attached Images

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Store bought eggs will last for months without refridgeration. Here is a post about a test I did in response to a previous egg thread here on Whiteblaze.

Quote Originally Posted by bronconite View Post
    I've known for a few years now that eggs don't need refridgeration. After reading this thread after it was first started, I decided to do a countertop egg experiment. I bought a dozen Sunnyside Farms Jumbo eggs at Wal-Mart on 8/15/11. The expiration date on them was 9/13/11. I used 2 of them on 8/21 because I ran out of non-experimental eggs. The next 2 on 9/17 which were fine. On 10/2 I checked to see if the next 2 would float, which they did, but they were fine. Tried 2 more on 10/9 which were just fine. On 10/28 I made 1 which was fine. I started to notice that the yolks would spread out more when broken into a bowl, like whatever holds the yolk together was getting weaker. Had another on 10/28 which was fine. The next 1 was on 11/12 and with this one the yolk was kind of pasty, but there was no oder so I ate it anyway and it was fine. Just ate the last one today, 12/26/11 and it was fine.

In the beginning my apartment was probably low to mid 70s. Once it was time to turn the heat on in late October It would have been between 60 and 64 degrees.

The only real change I found was that as the eggs aged, the consistancy of the cooked egg seemed less airy, more meaty, if that makes sense. All but the last one were scrambled, the last one was fried.

This summer I'm going to try it again with eggs left outside in the heat and see what happens.
    Last edited by Farr Away; 01-25-2013 at 21:47.

++ New Posts ++