WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best place to meet a thru hiker in PA

My brother is starting his thru Hike this weekend and I am so jealous. I am trying to find the place to meet up with him in PA to hike for a week does anyone have a suggestion on where I can park and meet him.

Pen Mar, Pine Grove Furnace or Boiling Springs. All are super easy to get to and offer parking.
    Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time -- Steven Wright

I know that Southern PA is a little less convenient for you but I'd recommend Caledonia State Park on U.S. Rt. 30 between Chambersburg and Gettysburg. The southern half of PA has a little more up-and-down than the stretch east of the Susquehanna River Duncannon but it's not as rocky.

Actually I know you said PA but would you consider another option: Harpers Ferry? You can leave your car at the Park Service lot and hike all of MD and then most of Southern PA.

Dunccanan you can park at the Doyle.

One consideration: your brother will be used to hiking 20+ mile days. If you join him, he'll lose his trail companions if you can't keep up. Make sure you're in top shape before you get on the trail.

Long term section hiker Stalking Tortoise's Avatar

Are you really looking to hike with him for a week or just hang with him for a week?

You could slack-pack him through a portion of PA, setting up camp and meeting him at the the end of the day at a pre-determined road crossing. I'd be thrilled to be supported over a week with someone taking care of all of the camp chores each day.
    Completed Sections: Springer to Clingmans Dome, & Max Patch to Gorham NH

All great advice from everyone from where to meet to actually hiking or setting up camp. I do plan on hiking with him for the days I am able, I have wanted to try a Thru-hike for years myself. But do to kids and bills my availability to take that much time away from my life is not feasible at this time. I plan on hiking as much as possible between now and then and also countinue my pretty rigourous workout routine so I won't slow him down. I don't want to pass up a chance to hike with him during this journey.

I like the Harper's Ferry Option

saw ur from ohio...I would suggest Duncannon or rt501...Lot of road crossings and possible rides back to vehicle if need be

If you need any shuttles during that time you can call me at 717-834-4706. I live in Duncannon, PA. And have a blast hiking with your brother.

++ New Posts ++