WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Campsites 20 or 21 ??

We were planning to try to see the synchronous fireflies this year but there's no room in Elkmont. Does anyone have any recommendations on maybe trying backcountry sites 20 or 21. We do hammock camp so we need enough trees to support 4 hammocks as close together as possible. Our 13 yr old daughter is going so trail difficulty and safety are of utmost inportance. We could go to Cades Cove but not sure about possibilities of seeing the fireflies.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't have experience with either camp site. But if I were planning to try to see the fireflies, I would try camp #20 stricktly because it is at a lower elevation (i.e. closer to the elevation of Elkmont). Or even better would be a two night hike and stay at both. The fireflies can be pretty finicky, so it's possible that both sites are too far away from Elkmont to see any fireflies. You might want to make contengency plans to do some night hiking (set up camp, then after dinner and the sun has gone down, hike towards Elkmont until you see some fireflies. You shouldn't have any problems hiking at night if you've hiked the trail already and everyone has a good head lamp).

The only experience I've had with the fireflies is that I was staying at camp site #53 over Memorial Weekend (2 years ago) located on the other side of the mountain from Elkmont (and a much higher elevation). We got a suprize visit from synchronous fireflies that night. But the next night at camp site #58 (same valley, 5 miles away at a lower elevation) there were NO synchronous fireflies.

I can tell you that last year, the fireflies came about two weeks earlier than the nation park service had planned. You needed to go before Memorial Day rather than the 2nd week of June to see them. So starting about the 18th, you might want to give the back country information number a call every couple of days and see if the fireflies are active yet.

I don't think you'll see any synchronous fireflies in Cades Cove campground. As popular as that site is, if they normally made an appearance there, we likely would have heard something about it by now.

As for your 13yo daughter, that should be a non-issue. My sons started hiking to Mt. LeConte Lodge at age 6, and overnight trips carrying their own backpack (limit to 20% their body weight) on trips to places like Gregory Bald at age 7. And we're not particularly an active family (neither son participates in sports). I read a book about hiking with kids several years ago. It gave the rule of thumb that you can expect kids to be able to hike about 1 mile per year of their age. So at age 13, there isn't any one trail your daughter should have a problem with.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

What ever happens, I'd love to hear a report about how things go. From what I've read about the process for seeing the fireflies, I'm not too keen on trying to join the crowds in Elkmont. I've wanted to try to see them by camping at camp sites 20 and 27, but so far things have not worked out for me to try.

Images

last year I got to witness this, my first night after leaving the smokys I had the shelter all to myself. I have never heard of such a thing as synchronous fireflys. So at first I thought I was seeing things, I was ready to dump out my flask, and throw my bag of grass in the fire. LOL. All kidding aside it was very cool. For about 40 min they did a wave pattern like a scrolling marquee in front of the shelter.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    last year I got to witness this, my first night after leaving the smokys I had the shelter all to myself. I have never heard of such a thing as synchronous fireflys. So at first I thought I was seeing things, I was ready to dump out my flask, and throw my bag of grass in the fire. LOL. All kidding aside it was very cool. For about 40 min they did a wave pattern like a scrolling marquee in front of the shelter.
    What shelter and what was the date?

From what I've been able to gather (after my firefly encounter at #53), there are apparently several species of synchronous fireflys, with different species located in different parts, and each species behaving a little different. I've heard of the waves, and I've experienced simultaneous flashing.

But when it comes to any published details, only the fireflies at Elkmont seem to be widely known and published about.

Images

[QUOTE
    But when it comes to any published details, only the fireflies at Elkmont seem to be widely known and published about.[/QUOTE]

that is true....

i have seen them at many other campsites within the park.......

and not just on the TN side....

while i havent stayed at 21 during firefly season (i stayed there in the winter), i have heard that they happen in this campsite...

and as a result, this campsite has become very popular for that reason....

i would think one could see them at CS 20 as well....

i would avoid CS 19......not the best campsite......

also.....have seen the fireflies at CS 64 along noland creek.....

I have hiked through campsite 20... but that was a few years ago. It seemed to be a very pleasant campsite with plenty of flat ground and a creek going through it. We stopped there for lunch and enjoyed it. We then proceeded to hike on to campsite #19, our scheduled campsite for the night. Campsite #19 has very little flat ground and hardly any place to set up tents... (probably be fine for hammocks though...)

I have not hiked through 21...

peak firefly synchronization will be between June 5 and June 13. I have seen them from a lot of different places in the park. Just about any campsite below 3500 ft and near water would be ideal. One of my favorite campsites to watch them has a waterfall, a swimming hole, and an old railroad tressel bridge. I LOVE that spot. Just sit on the bridge and watch the fireflies on both sides of the creek.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    peak firefly synchronization will be between June 5 and June 13. I have seen them from a lot of different places in the park. Just about any campsite below 3500 ft and near water would be ideal. One of my favorite campsites to watch them has a waterfall, a swimming hole, and an old railroad tressel bridge. I LOVE that spot. Just sit on the bridge and watch the fireflies on both sides of the creek.
    I don't suppose you'd care to share the location of that favorite spot would you? From what I've read alot of people keep their spots undisclosed due to the crowds that are drawn. I appreciate all the responses so far.

Images

hmmm, can't be walnut bottoms, no waterfall too close.

As a complete hunch what if we changed plans and camped down Big Creek to campsite 37? I wonder if we'd see any fireflies there. What about the difficulty of the Big Creek trail and condition of campsite for hammocks?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddW View Post
    As a complete hunch what if we changed plans and camped down Big Creek to campsite 37? I wonder if we'd see any fireflies there. What about the difficulty of the Big Creek trail and condition of campsite for hammocks?
    What about bear activity in this area?

Images

that's one of the most heavily used sites in the park......

saying that, it's not a bad site, and should have room for hammocks.....

going up big creek trail from the campground is a breeze........

a little bit of elevation change but nothing extreme.......

i would expect, since it's a heavily used site, that it would have bear activity....

if memory serves me right, except for last year, almost every summer the park closes it down for a time period due to bears....

but that's usually later in the year....

not sure about fireflies in that area.....

What about bear activity in this area?
    If bear activity (or rain) is a problem, don't hike in the Smokies.

What's your primary objective?

Hiking, or watching fireflies?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

As a complete hunch what if we changed plans and camped down Big Creek to campsite 37? I wonder if we'd see any fireflies there.
    There are multiple locations that have synchronous fireflies. But they do NOT cover the entire park. Refer back to my example of seeing a spectacular display ate camp site 53, yet absolutely no synchronous fireflies the next night at 58 (both sites along Deep Creek).

As for campsite #47, keep in mind that Balsam Moutain (road and front country camping) are closed for all of 2013. I'm assuming you could still reach the trail head via the two way Straigth Fork Road.

Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
    hmmm, can't be walnut bottoms, no waterfall too close.
    Forty seven.

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    Forty seven.

My favorite campsite setting in the park. Small site (and not great for hammocks?) but low risk of crowds as it's hard to get to (remote, some tough climbing) relative to other sites in the park.

Images

i was thinking 47 as well......

but, that's not "an old railroad tressel bridge"....

that bridge is only a few decades old, and was built after someone drowned trying to cross the creek there....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i was thinking 47 as well......

but, that's not "an old railroad tressel bridge"....

Technically, the bridge is neither "railroad" nor "tressel." (It's not trestle, either.)

But, guessing that Ox might not be an engineer, I'll still put my money on 47.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++