WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Potential Darwin Award winner

Kincaid Park, Anchorage Alaska. Man approaches a bull moose during rutting season to get what could have been the very last pic of his life.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Kincaid Park, Anchorage Alaska. Man approaches a bull moose during rutting season to get what could have been the very last pic of his life.
    I was in Yellowstone, early AM in August several years back. Wandering around with a telephoto that allowed me to get up close and personal with a bison. While I stayed a save distance off. The critter "looked" more worried about me than vice-versa. Then I thought about it bowling me over to get away. Retreat was the far wise course.

Cvt
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Kincaid Park is a bike path around the Anchorage airport. You practically have to wait for the moose to get off of the path sometimes.

I'll try and scan my pics from there, I was about 8 feet from the moose.

They are like passing cows on the AT.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Kincaid Park is a bike path around the Anchorage airport. You practically have to wait for the moose to get off of the path sometimes.

Is the airport completely fenced to keep the moose from wandering onto the runways?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Is the airport completely fenced to keep the moose from wandering onto the runways?
    Actually the airport is just on the north side of the park, and yes the airport is fenceed. Also that side is less forested and not as populated by wildlife.

Also, Anchorage's idea of a municipal park is about 1,500 acres.

Anchorage has an outstanding city trails system with 250 miles of trails (135 miles paved). Many of the roads have tunnels under them for the trails.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Is it your opinion, then, that bull moose in Kincaid are no more dangerous than Bluebell the dairy cow?

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Is it your opinion, then, that bull moose in Kincaid are no more dangerous than Bluebell the dairy cow?
    I've been more concerned by stubborn bulls on the AT. The ones that don't move even after you clack your hiking poles at them. Never quite sure what that stare they give is going to mean.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    I was in Yellowstone, early AM in August several years back. Wandering around with a telephoto that allowed me to get up close and personal with a bison. While I stayed a save distance off. The critter "looked" more worried about me than vice-versa. Then I thought about it bowling me over to get away. Retreat was the far wise course.

Cvt
    Had a big bull bison follow me down the trail for over a quarter mile coming out of Slough Creek in Yellowstone one August. Put a little spring in my step.

Actually the airport is just on the north side of the park, and yes the airport is fenceed. Also that side is less forested and not as populated by wildlife.

Also, Anchorage's idea of a municipal park is about 1,500 acres.

Anchorage has an outstanding city trails system with 250 miles of trails (135 miles paved). Many of the roads have tunnels under them for the trails.
    The reason I ask is because West Yellowstone has an airport that I have seen elk on the runway and more than once have seen planes make a sort of modified touch and go to avoid collision. 1500 acres. That sounds great.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Had a big bull bison follow me down the trail for over a quarter mile coming out of Slough Creek in Yellowstone one August. Put a little spring in my step.
    It would certainly put a spring in mine
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

How about the paparazzi behind the light pole? Taking things a little too seriously?

Journal Entries

Don't know it it's true or not, but when I camped in Yellowstone for a few nights, 10+ years ago, a ranger told me that a German lady had approached a bison, despite warning signs, to get a picture; got trampled and stampled; then tried to sue the Park Service for failing to control those dangerous animals.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by da fungo View Post
    Don't know it it's true or not, but when I camped in Yellowstone for a few nights, 10+ years ago, a ranger told me that a German lady had approached a bison, despite warning signs, to get a picture; got trampled and stampled; then tried to sue the Park Service for failing to control those dangerous animals.
    Kinda doubt it was a German. They leave huge gaping construction holes in the sidewalks with a small sign that says "Verboten" and rely on your common sense to stay away. I never heard of a lawsuit like that while I was over there, but it could happen, I guess. My German compadres (freunds) were always asking me if the lawsuit stories they saw were true or just made up.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    I was in Yellowstone, early AM in August several years back. Wandering around with a telephoto that allowed me to get up close and personal with a bison.
    Cvt
    Funny. When I was in Yellowstone, on multiple occasions all that separated me from 1+ tons of bison was a thin pane of safety glass and the door of a Jeep Liberty rental car. The bison seem very aware that the cars don't pose much of a threat, and get close enough to fog the side view mirrors (not kidding in the least). I was doing my best to maintain NPS mandated distances between human and fauna, but the fauna had other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by bobp View Post
    Funny. When I was in Yellowstone, on multiple occasions all that separated me from 1+ tons of bison was a thin pane of safety glass and the door of a Jeep Liberty rental car. The bison seem very aware that the cars don't pose much of a threat, and get close enough to fog the side view mirrors (not kidding in the least). I was doing my best to maintain NPS mandated distances between human and fauna, but the fauna had other ideas.
    I remember the time I was in Yellowstone and a little Mazda sports car drove by with what I am certain was a bison horn puncture in the passenger door. Must have been interesting to have been the passenger. Also, a ranger had said there had been at least 15 confirmed elk attacks on cars by the same bull elk at Mammoth

Quote Originally Posted by mfleming View Post
    I remember the time I was in Yellowstone and a little Mazda sports car drove by with what I am certain was a bison horn puncture in the passenger door. Must have been interesting to have been the passenger. Also, a ranger had said there had been at least 15 confirmed elk attacks on cars by the same bull elk at Mammoth
    When a bull elk, moose, or bison thinks they want you, or your vehicle....look out. Heck I've seen tom turkeys stalk a car all struttin and stuff.

We were at Yellowstone about 16 years ago when the kids were young. I remember they had signs all over about the dangers of the bison. The funny thing was the sign had this very amateurish line-drawing of a person being gored by a bison. It looked like it was drawn by a 1st grader (or me). But sure enough, we were on the boardwalks at Mud Volcano when we saw a bison just off the path acting very agitated, surrounded by a load of idiots getting as close as they could to take pictures. We got out of there ASAP.

++ New Posts ++