WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Also, agree with Sanna above regarding the pad. Get a warmer one or add a second one. Simple blue foam is great to add to your three season pad during winter use, and very cheap, probably the most added comfort for the cheapest cost you will find.

Nothing works better than down for keeping you warm. Nothing is lighter. Nothing is more expensive. Synthetic bags won't keep you warm when wet but they are better at it than down.

Much depends on the comfort level you require and whether you plan on using the bag as it was designed. I used a WM 35 degree bag for a 1 April start. I saw temps in the low 20s. I slept a few nights with my insulating lawyers, hat, gloves, etc. on. A tent and insulating pad will make your bag "warmer".

The quilt company I'm looking at, for every 10* difference, the weight difference is 3 oz. and the $$ difference is $20. Easy to go 10-20* overkill. I think that your sleeping bag/quilt should be a what if purchase. Here in St. Louis we seldom get into the teens, and rarely get to single digits, but it does happen. hypothermia kills!! The $40 in your wallet won't keep you warm, the $40 in your bag will.

++ New Posts ++