I'm relatively new to backpacking. I've only done 60ish miles of the AT from Amicalola Falls to Unicoi Gap, but I'm really excited for the opportunity to do some real long distance hiking!

So, I only have 2.5 months to hike, from about May 15th to the beginning of August. I was looking at just doing half the trail, and I'm more drawn to doing Harpers Ferry to Katahdin than Amicalola Falls to Harpers Ferry. It seems like a decent amount of people leave for Harpers Ferry to Katahdin around mid April-early May, and I'm wondering why this is such a popular time?

Like what are the pro's and con's (weather, bugs, how busy the trail is, etc) of this portion of the AT at that time compared to the southern half of the trail?
What differences in gear are necessary?
and how do the landscapes change? (I've heard the white mountains are some of the most difficult portions on the AT, but haven't researched much else into difficulty vs. enjoyability - if that makes sense. are there any flat boring sections? or which sections are the most enjoyable?)

Thanks so much for any advice!