Quote Originally Posted by fehchet View Post
When I lived in Erwin, I would walk from Gay Street over to the Nolichucky River and then up the switch backs to No Business Knob Shelter. One afternoon I arrived to a very misty and foggy woods surrounding the shelter. I sat down and began eating the lunch I carried in. When all of a sudden 20 turkeys quietly walked out of the fog and began pecking away at the ground near the fire pit and close to me. I didn't make a sound until they had walked back into the foggy woods.
It may seem creepy there because of the spirits that still inhabit these historic Tennessee woods but I'm sure we are all welcome. We are just the future travelers passing through.
Going back down to the Nolichucky is always the fun part because the walk up was the work of the hike -- such views too. Then a Mountain Dew at Uncle Johnny's and 2 miles on the flats back into Erwin. But 9 times out of 10 someone will stop and give me a ride home.
I've been taking the Temple Hill Trail up to Temple Hill Gap instead of walking up all those switchbacks. It's over a mile shorter and only the last .75 mile is uphill.

I can be at NBK shelter in less than 1.5 hours from Uncle Johnny's.