WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My Dri-Duck jacket/pants weighed 10oz for a large (6oz for jacket, 4oz for pants). It was the $15 model. I used it on 2 thru's and was very happy with performance.

I just spent about 20 minutes typing a scientific thesis on why there's no such thing as an appreciably waterproof/breathable membrane or coating in existence. I've tried them all and should feel justified in defending my hundreds of dollors in purchases. I don't! I feel as if I should know better. I don't even feel as though I've been duped. I just "hope against hope" that the Miracle Fabric (cue angels singing) has arrived - and am disappointed again and again.

Driducks aren't appreciably breathable. They are light and waterproof, and the fabric is polypropylene, which, basically, absorbs no water, it's lined with a sort of fuzzy polypro texture which hides (or isolates) the moisture from your bare skin (but your clothing will get quite damp). The fabric is a bit stiff, which keeps more of it from touching your body than a coated nylon wp/b fabric, and the fit is loose which helps with ventilation (which is the best way to remove moisture from the inside of a waterproof garment). It's a bit fragile, but don't use it for a groundsheet or go running through the briars with it and you should be fine.
    Don't waste your money on high priced, over hyped, tested in conditions favorable to marketable results, so-called "Waterproof/Breathable" fabrics. They are generally heavy, will leak once contaminated with body oils and sweat salt, and are difficult to re-treat to restore water repellency, and are never "Good as new" once retreated.

Btw: I either "timed out" on my original, superior post, or lost it when Cinderella's coach turned back to a pumpkin at midnight.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

OPPS, I meant to type rain suite. Thanks for the info.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    OPPS, I meant to type rain suite. Thanks for the info.
    yu nede spel chek, can you find this rain suite in a hotel?

++ New Posts ++