WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Giardia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    LOL! This happened to me at Trail Days. I thru hiker was trying to pass off his huge bag or GORP. Said he was tired of eating it and asked me if I wanted it. I politely declined.
    Is it actually possible to contract giardia from something other than a water source?

Oh, and for the people that don't wash/clean their hands. It isn't a chunk of feces we are concerned about, it's the tiny almost microscopic flecks that are barely visible if visible at all. Just because you didn't smear it all over your hand like a monkey doesn't mean you didn't get any on it at all.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Images

There is so much bad info about Giardia out there that its tough to sort it out. While the OP was looking for AT data this study done up in the Sierra was the best info I have ever come across on the subject. Unfortunately for me I found it AFTER I picked up Giardia south of Sonora Pass in an area mentioned in the article. Many of the points would also apply to the AT.

http://www.modbee.com/2010/05/08/115...s-streams.html

++ New Posts ++