WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Patrick, my original idea was to use a mummy bag (b/c of better insulation for the weight), & could have used a mummy style bag for the design posted on your thread ("I made a synthetic underquilt"), but because of info from this thread, I think I'll just use the bag that you used, NF Allegheny-(rectangle bag, (L) = 83" x 65" opened up like a quilt). I would cut that down to 83" x 48",, & voilla, a rectangle synthetic underquilt,which would give me ample coverage like the JRB Nest. My only original concern w/ that was the +40 rating. I mostly hike fall/winter/spring, which I knew would need lower than +40, which is why I was considering taking that extra piece left over from cutting down the bag (83" x 17") & sewing it diagonally onto the 83" x 48" piece (in the same diagonal position that I would be laying most of the time), giving me a rating closer to +10 along the diagonal. This would mean that my underquilt would be close to 2 lbs 9 ozs,, ouch. For this reason, I may leave that extra 83" x 17" piece off. Like Peter Pan said, for underquilt insulation, I may be able to get down to +25 to +30 w/ a +40 underquilt. The hammock idea is still in the wish list category,,, I'm just covering all the bases before I commit. I'm currently trying to reduce my base weight, which now is about 35 lbs. Based on my current wish list, I can get my base weight down to 16+ lbs w/ a tarptent, or around 19+ lbs w/ a HH & insulation for fall/winter/spring camping. From all I've heard, that extra few lbs is worth it!!
    Last edited by Big Dawg; 09-16-2005 at 07:45.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog
    I'm currently trying to reduce my base weight, which now is about 35 lbs. Based on my current wish list, I can get my base weight down to 16+ lbs w/ a tarptent, or around 19+ lbs w/ a HH & insulation for fall/winter/spring camping.
    I'm sure true winter camping is going to add some decent weight, but comparing apples to apples, my three-season set-up with a hammock actually saved me weight over my previous three-season tarp set-up.

Old stuff:
    Ground sheet (2 mil plastic, about 8' x 4') - 10 oz.
    Sleeping pad (8 section Z-Rest) - 9 oz.
    Sleeping bag (20 degree Cat's Meow) - 48 oz.
    Bug netting - 5 oz.
    Silnylon tarp (modified 8' x 10', including bag, stakes, and all lines) - 20 oz.

Total: 92 oz (5.75 lbs).

New stuff:
    HH ULB (including stakes, lines, bag, straps, and fly) - 32 oz.
    Homemade Ray-Way quilt - 28 oz.
    Homemade modified sleeping bag underquilt - 24 oz.

Total: 84 oz (5.25 lbs).

Both set-ups could be lighter, I'm sure. I don't do down, though, which is where I think most of the weight savings would come from. Either way, there's no way that, for comparable set-ups, you're going to be adding pounds with a hammock set-up. As you can see, there's a good chance that you'll actually lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Either way, there's no way that, for comparable set-ups, you're going to be adding pounds with a hammock set-up.
    I also cut weight going from my ground setup to a hammock setup, but it doesn't work that way for someone who's already a lightweight ground sleeper. You can get much lighter with a ground setup, but hammocks are so much more comfortable.

These numbers are for roughly 35F and aren't even using the 5 oz tarps at BPL...

13 oz - JRB 8x8 Tarp w/ 4 stakes and cord (use hiking poles or trees)
    7 oz - CCF pad (not full length...use backpack under knees)
    16 oz - 32F down bag
    5 oz - Bugnet
    - Total - 35 oz

11 - Homemade Speer (w/o bugnet)
    03.5 - Speer SPE (use clothes for wings)
    10 - Equinox CCF Pad 20"x72"x3/8"
    16 - Speer Top Blanket
    11 - JRB 8x8 w/ 2 stakes and cord
    - Total - 51.5 oz

Using Jack's setup from JRB...possibly good to 25F:

16 - HH Extreme light Racer w/ tree savers
    11 - JRB 8x8 w/ cord and 2 pti pegs
    42 - JRB Nest, No Sniveller, suspension
    - Total - 69 oz

++ New Posts ++