I few months back, I am reading the Book - Slow and Steady by Robert Callaway. He wrote "I tented out on the north side of the mountain (referring to Mt. Moosilauke). After a steep and dangerous descent the next morning, I came to my Buick at Kinsmman notch where NH 112 crosses. I remember reading a historical marker there, memorializing a World War II military aircraft that crashed on a training mission".

Today's technology is awesome because I Google Earthed that spot and have a good idea that it exists as the way described in the book. However, I have questions that I cannot find the answers too; without eyes on the ground so to speak.

Can anyone give me more information on this memorial? Is it a plaque on a rock? Does it list names? Is it off the AT and located in the Trail Head Parking Lot? Is it at the intersection of the trail head entrance and Lost River Rd.?

The reason for the questions is two fold. I will not be able to answer the questions myself until 2018 or 2019 - Lord Willing. More important is a posible family connection - if this military aircraft that crashed is related to one of my family members. My Grandmother's Brother (my great uncle?) was a navigator on a B17 flying from Nebraska to Maine on July 11, 1944. The plane crashed somewhere between the State Line and the Rangely Lakes area, North of the AT in Maine: "on a training mission" according to the Air Force telegrams. That plane wreck combined with another two person craft that crashed into a trailer park, stands as the worst day of aviation deaths in the State of Maine to this day.

My brother's and I have research and collected items related to the family tree. We actually have the encased burial flag that drapped the remains of my Uncle when he was flown back and buried in Flagstaff Arizona. We also have the Western Union telegrams delivered the day's following the crash as they searched for and discovered the wreckage.

Sorry if this has bored anyone or is in the wrong Catagory - However, it's a piece of history that may have a link to the Trail that I have alway's been called too and that we all love.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.