WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Limmer Boots

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have a pair of customs. Paid a lot and waited a long time to get them. They are indeed heavy but I really liked them and wore them for much of the AT. The problem for me was when the soles wore down and I paid a lot to get them redone. A trainee made them too small and they were never again comfortable. I tried to get them adjusted at Limmer's but was unsuccessful. They wanted me to tie the laces so tight that my feet screamed and that"s when I lost faith in the shoe. I then switched to lightweight hikers from Bean's and never looked back. Now I think "What was I thinking?" Any interest in a set of 9 1/2 wide Limmers?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I have a pair of customs. Paid a lot and waited a long time to get them. They are indeed heavy but I really liked them and wore them for much of the AT. The problem for me was when the soles wore down and I paid a lot to get them redone. A trainee made them too small and they were never again comfortable. I tried to get them adjusted at Limmer's but was unsuccessful. They wanted me to tie the laces so tight that my feet screamed and that"s when I lost faith in the shoe. I then switched to lightweight hikers from Bean's and never looked back. Now I think "What was I thinking?" Any interest in a set of 9 1/2 wide Limmers?
    I bought my first and last pair of Limmer midweights in 2001 and won't ever take the plunge again. Poor customer service, a long drawn out story involving unwaxed welt thread, flapping boot soles, seemingly covered by the warranty, $100 repair bill afterwards, warranty voided due to me putting glue in the boot for a field repair. Etc.

No matter how much Limmer boot grease I used I could never get the things waterproof and so they ended up soaked and frozen for most of my winter trips. And heavy. And after about 12-15 miles my feet were sore, no so with the run of the mill Asolos FSN 95s. Problem is, I have to buy new Asolos every 2 years. The only good thing about Limmers? They can be repaired and so will last for 20 years. And if you just leave them in the closet, they can last a lifetime.

++ New Posts ++