Sorry if this is kinda long...

Ok so I got back yesterday from a 2-day hike in the Desoto National forest and the trip taught me a lot about my gear; mainly that it is way too heavy. (I'll be posting more on the trip in another thread). I know everyone here has seen a thousand threads like this before, but hey one more won't hurt right!? Besides I really do need some help getting the weight down.
I don't have an exact weight w/ food and water, but I'm pretty sure that w/ food and water the total weight was around 37-38 pounds. Obviously that is way too heavy and I'm now shooting for less that 25 pounds w/ food and water included.
Here is the list of items that I took along w/ notations of what I already know can be removed, what cannot, and what I need help replacing w/ something lighter. This list is for pack weight only, not what I will be wearing on a normal day. I will be bringing 2 trekking poles which are also not included in the list.

Pack
Coleman Elate 65L ($69) ~4lbs
- I couldn't take my Go-lite Jam (~1lb 10oz) pack w/ me because my gear simply didn't fit. I made due w/ a Coleman Elate 65L pack from Wally World because I didn't want to cancel my trip. This pack is junk, too heavy, and is going back to Wally World today. I have to say I did like the top lid for storage and the load lifters helped (I think).
Question is, should I stick w/ the Jam (assuming I can get the weight/bulk down) or go w/ something like the Rei Flash 65 which has the top lid and load lifters, but weighs less than the Coleman? Bear in mind that I'm willing to shell out a little more money if needed, but the budget is still tight and I don't know if I can find another great deal like I did on the jam ($50 on clearance).

Shelter
Kelty Teton 2 ($95) ~4lbs 10oz
- Don't get me wrong, for the money this a great tent w/ plenty of room and easy set up. However, after the trip I felt like I didn't really need this 2 person "castle" and would like to go w/ something much lighter and smaller. (No hammocks). I was thinking maybe a tarptent or something similar? Recomendations? (Something less that 200 bucks would be best).

Sleeping
Campmor 20 Degree Down Bag ($120) ~2lbs 4oz
- Worked great and I doubt I'll find anything lighter without severly blowing the budget. Open to suggestions though.

Insulmat Self-Inflating Pad ($40) ~2lbs 4oz
- Was comfy, but I'm thinking I can save some weight here by going w/ a closed cell pad. Suggestions?

Camp Pillow ($?) ~6.5oz
- Hey look I just saved 6.5 oz cause this item is NOT going w/ me. I tried it and didn't like it at all.

Clothing (sorry don't have weights for most of these cause my bathroom scale won't register them)
Under Armour Frost Stopper Jacket ($35) ~1lb
- Don't think I can get much lighter here when I comes to a wind/water resistant warm jacket.

Paradox LS Base Layer Top (medium weight I think.)
- Already had this, don't want to spend money on something else that might save a few ounces.

Paradox Base Layer Bottom (same material as top)
- Will save a few ounces here cause I don't think I'll need them. However I don't know if just my normal pair of hiking pants will cut it on really cold days. Suggestions?

Fleece Hat
- Just a basic fleece hat

1 Target C9 DuoDry T-Shirt
- Basic hiking shirt. Worked great and low cost (Yay for clearance racks!).

2 Pairs Smartwool Socks
- Will eliminate a couple of ounces by just packing 1 pair.

1 Pair C9 Underwear
- I wore a pair and packed a pair on the Desoto trip. I will only bring 1 pair to wear on the AT and only then on cooler days or to sleep in. Went "commando" (sorry probably TMI) for the 1st time in Desoto and preferred it w/ the warm weather (80 degrees).

Lightweight Fleece Jacket
- Gonna save about 13 oz here cause I think it is overkill and will NOT be bringing it.

1 Pair of Gym Shorts
- Light and great for sleeping/wearing while doing laundry.

Dri Duck Rain Jacket
- Don't think I could get much lighter w/o sacrifcing durability.

Other
Katadyn Water Filter ~13 oz
- Will definately be bringing this. I know I could save weight by going w/ chemicals, but I don't think I could give up the benifits of having a filter.

GSI Soloist Pot & Cup ~1 lb 10z (including stove and stuff below)
- Worked great. Couldn't really save any weight unless I went titanium which is out of my budget.

NoLimits Canister Stove W/ Plastic Fork, Spoon, and 1 4oz Canister (See above for weight)
- Worked great. Found that I really like the ease of freezer bag cooking. Even if there are lighter alternitives (alcohol stoves for example), I've already used this item and can't return it now so I guess I'm stuck w/ it (which isn't neccesarily a bad thing).

Wally World Plastic Trowel
- Nuff said

Roll of TP
- Nuff said

Electronics ~1lb 6oz
- Camera (may replace with a new camera that uses batteries, eliminating the heavy charger)
- Cell phone w/ charger
- Headlamp
- Sansa Clip Mp3 player w/ charger & headphones (very light weight, probably wouldn't notice the difference if I didn't bring it)

1st Aid, Toiletries, and basic Swiss Army Knife ~1lb 7oz
- Will save ~6oz by leaving out some uneccesary 1st aid items, camp soap, deodarent stick, and sunscreen. Was thinking of leaving out the bug spray to save a few more ounces. I already have a head net (which is lighter). What do you think?

Journal and Section of AT Companion ~13oz
- Will save an ounce or 2 as I broke up the Companion into even smaller sections.

Food bag
- Gonna save a couple ounces by switching to a sil-nylon bag instead of the plastic thing I have now.

I think thats about it. I've already removed aproximately 2lbs 4oz as listed from my comments above. I will save another 2lbs 6oz if I go with my Go-lite Jam. That would get me down to roughly 32.5lbs with food and water, but it looks like I still need to cut 7.5lbs to get down to my 25lb goal. I might be able to shave off a pound by packing lighter food, but not really sure about that. Let the comments begin; and thank you all for your help.