WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    By 1743, the people of England were drinking 2.2 gallons (10 litres) of gin annually per head of population. As consumption levels increased, an organised campaign for more effective legislation began to emerge, led by the Bishop of Sodor and Man, Thomas Wilson (who, in 1736, had complained that gin produced a 'drunken ungovernable set of people').

The fights at bars were so bad the police tiered of controlling the behavior.
    I read a while ago that this drinking problem was the reason the British conquered India and pushed tea consumption on everyone, especially the working class - to keep them more productive as the Industrial Revolution was underway.

Images

A little late to this thread, but it strikes me as one that is obviously controversial so why not throw in my opinion. When I was hiking on the AT/LT down in southern VT, I stopped at Kid Gore shelter for the night. Already there, were two weekend backpackers and one man doing a section hike from New York to Maine. A few minutes after arriving, the weekenders pulled out some weed and asked if it was minded if they smoked. I'm a teenager so I've been around things like this before so I'm perfectly immune and really don't care. These guys smoked a ton of weed though, they were smoking for hours, and the second they woke up the next morning, before they even got out of their sleeping bag, they were smoking more weed. I don't smoke, but I really don't have a problem with it as long as they aren't being rude and obnoxious. But this all depends. If you're at a shelter on the AT, you should be there because you love hiking and are resting for another day's hike, not because it is a cool spot to get drunk or high. So basically, if you are a real hiker who is out to enjoy the wilderness that the AT provides, I don't have a problem with a few drinks or hits when you get to the shelter for the night. But if you don't really enjoy backpacking and just want an escape to smoke and drink, then that becomes a problem.

Images

I dont think they would have hiked from ny to me if they didnt enjoy backpacking.live and let live.

I've bumped into a few youth about my age or slightly older going off into Marjorie-Harris for a drink. While littering and noise in the woods drives me to a frothing rage, they usually don't concern me personally, so as long as they keep is sane and clean, I'm happy to let them be, and maybe guide them out if I'm still in the area and they haven't proven themselves hostile or disrespectful to the environment.

I would rather know, "How can the people NOT drinking heavily and doing drugs on and along the AT be keep away?"

Quote Originally Posted by posthardkyle View Post
    A little late to this thread, but it strikes me as one that is obviously controversial so why not throw in my opinion. When I was hiking on the AT/LT down in southern VT, I stopped at Kid Gore shelter for the night. Already there, were two weekend backpackers and one man doing a section hike from New York to Maine. A few minutes after arriving, the weekenders pulled out some weed and asked if it was minded if they smoked. I'm a teenager so I've been around things like this before so I'm perfectly immune and really don't care. These guys smoked a ton of weed though, they were smoking for hours, and the second they woke up the next morning, before they even got out of their sleeping bag, they were smoking more weed. I don't smoke, but I really don't have a problem with it as long as they aren't being rude and obnoxious. But this all depends. If you're at a shelter on the AT, you should be there because you love hiking and are resting for another day's hike, not because it is a cool spot to get drunk or high. So basically, if you are a real hiker who is out to enjoy the wilderness that the AT provides, I don't have a problem with a few drinks or hits when you get to the shelter for the night. But if you don't really enjoy backpacking and just want an escape to smoke and drink, then that becomes a problem.
    Wow very insightful, keep on keepin on!

Quote Originally Posted by DogPaw View Post
    I've bumped into a few youth about my age or slightly older going off into Marjorie-Harris for a drink. While littering and noise in the woods drives me to a frothing rage, they usually don't concern me personally, so as long as they keep is sane and clean, I'm happy to let them be, and maybe guide them out if I'm still in the area and they haven't proven themselves hostile or disrespectful to the environment.
    I am constantly amased at how well behaved some younger people are, many could take a lesson from them, or at least a reminder, including myself. Happy Trails..DogPaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    I would rather know, "How can the people NOT drinking heavily and doing drugs on and along the AT be keep away?"
    Big Tom, you might could take a lesson from some of our newer youngest members,....Naw, I really don't care one way or another, but I am reminded of a trail journal that was written last year by a younger fella, he said "I have absolutely nothing in common with these guys", referring to some acid heads, I found that very refreshing , and wished I'd been as insightful when I was young.

My only problem with someone smoking weed around me is that I have to leave the area immediatly. I cannot under no circumstances be in that situation. On the extremly remote chance they are busted and the ranger/LEO charges everyone I have just become unemployed along with loosing six liquor licenses for my employer. It's extremely selfish to light up near other people.

Images

You know I have a problem with it I live in a city that is fairly violent and the woods are my time out from the insanity the last thing I want is for the insanity to follow me there. I feel I have as much right to being somewhere without someone high around me as they do as being high. But it is moot point because there is nothing you can do about stupid, drug addicts or alcholics because their agenda will always come first.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    It's extremely selfish to light up near other people.
    agree. pot or tobacco

Images

If you want solitude,there are plenty of places to find it,but hiking the at is partly a social experience,snd that means we all hsve to find a way to get along.that has never been difficult on the trail,only here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    You know I have a problem with it I live in a city that is fairly violent and the woods are my time out from the insanity the last thing I want is for the insanity to follow me there. I feel I have as much right to being somewhere without someone high around me as they do as being high. But it is moot point because there is nothing you can do about stupid, drug addicts or alcholics because their agenda will always come first.
    Unfortunately, there will always be a few selfish jerks out there, but you can do things about them, you know. More often than not, a simple parley with them asking them to quiet down or move to another place will solve the issue unless they're stupendously drunk. If they drink or get high elsewhere, it's hardly our problem as long as we can ensure their relative safety. Don't be meek, but don't be overly aggressive either. The former marks you for a weakling, the latter marks you for a fool. Just firmly tell them in no uncertain terms to leave you be and drink elsewhere. I personally carry a massive shillelagh bound in metal with me, so I get a few points for intimidation, but most people like that I've bumped into have parted peacefully with me.

I heard this one guy who hiked the PCT the same year as me say latter, that everyone uses on the trail. I had a hard time not bursting out laughing. There is the old saying, Birds of a feather flock together. What I noticed is the guys who were more then just an occasional user, tended to hang together while those of us who prefer to not self medicate tended to stay away from such groups since we didn't have much in common and would really prefer not to be around it. Which is probably why they got the impression everyone uses. My own expreiences was that whilethere are certainly users, there are plenty who are not as well as most of the people I encountered didn't, but that also could be a case of bird of a feather. Basically, its not hard to avoid it if you want, but if you want it its certainly there.

What I couldn't understand were the 2 different guys I ran into who would flip ahead and hike south inorder to deal so they could afford to stay on the trail. Which is pretty sad since they are having to work hard inorder to stay on the trail instead of just having fun. Kind of reminds me of those pushers at parties when I was young. While everyone else is having fun, they are spending all their time working on their next sell and couldn't possibly be having much fun.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    agree. pot or tobacco
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    agree. pot or tobacco
    I smoke tobacco and agree with that. My vise should never affect you!

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    I smoke tobacco and agree with that. My vise should never affect you!
    I wish everyone out there was mature and condiderate as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    My wife trained me well!

Images

Most are considerate.there are plenty of knuckleheads out there too but ive found most out there are mutually respectful.the hard partiers are usually locals rather than thru or section hikers

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Agreed. My philosophy of 'live and let live' generally assumes you'll allow me to live too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    What's wrong with heavy drinking and drugs? Seriously. Live and let live.

What else don't you like? Let's make a list and KEEP OUT everyone who you don't approve of.
    well said! if we do compile another list though, i would like to add: snorers, and early risers to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    While there is drinking and smoking on the trial, it is almost always done in moderation and often discretely. Heavy drinking isn't very common nor is "drug" use. At worse, you'll see someone take a few sips from a flask or a couple of tokes off a pipe and that's it for the evening.

On rare occasions you might run into a group of locals partying at a shelter or campsite which is an easy walk from a road. Usually on a Saturday night. If you happen to run into a group like that, it is usually a good idea to push on, although it can be fun to join them.
    true, true. that's been my experience as well, on all counts.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    By 1743, the people of England were drinking 2.2 gallons (10 litres) of gin annually per head of population. As consumption levels increased, an organised campaign for more effective legislation began to emerge, led by the Bishop of Sodor and Man, Thomas Wilson (who, in 1736, had complained that gin produced a 'drunken ungovernable set of people').

The fights at bars were so bad the police tiered of controlling the behavior.
    Just an FYI... you have started channeling JAK...

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++