WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Esbit stove

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How well, if at all, does the Esbit system work at altitudes of 10,000' and up? For backpacking meals that require soaking times of 25 minutes and up?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    How well, if at all, does the Esbit system work at altitudes of 10,000' and up? For backpacking meals that require soaking times of 25 minutes and up?
    Wayne

I am curious as to how well it works on dehy meals with pasta, rice or bean components that require long soaking times(13 minutes at 5,000 feet) and specify boiling water. Say 2.5 cups of boiling water. Will less than boiling water work? If so, how much longer?

I've never used an Esbit. Changed from old school liquid fuels pressurized stoves to gas cans years ago. I will admit that the wood burner stoves have always intrigued me, but not enough to buy one. I would consider buying an Esbit if it worked for my purposes, which is solely boiling water for commercial dehy meals and coffee/tea/cocoa.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    I am curious as to how well it works on dehy meals with pasta, rice or bean components that require long soaking times(13 minutes at 5,000 feet) and specify boiling water. Say 2.5 cups of boiling water. Will less than boiling water work? If so, how much longer?
    Good questions I don't have answers to.

But...burn enough tabs and it'll boil.

I've only eaten Mtn House, and I routinely put in less water...it's just trial and error. But I always use boiling water.

I took aluminum duct that was about 4" diameter and made a wind screen of sorts. Drilled a few holes so the tab/fire could breath...had to experiment a bit. Similar to that thing zelph has.

IMO the Esbit and the original stove lose too much heat in the cold.

FTR it's been a long time since I used Esbit...but back in the day that's all I used.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post

I've never used an Esbit. Changed from old school liquid fuels pressurized stoves to gas cans years ago. I will admit that the wood burner stoves have always intrigued me, but not enough to buy one. I would consider buying an Esbit if it worked for my purposes, which is solely boiling water for commercial dehy meals and coffee/tea/cocoa.
    My experience between 10,000' and 11,000', white gas stove and rolling boil, between 190-195 degrees as I recall.
    Mountain House freeze dried per directions. No problems.
    Good To-Go Penne Pasta in tomato sauce. Dehydrated. 20+ minutes. Pasta was a bit crunchy and the sauce a little runny.
    I guess Esbit hasn't been used at altitude.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++