WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    I am one of those hikers that has ZERO miles on AT.

I am pretty sure that one can post here on whiteblaze.net ,be helpful with minimal or zero AT mileage. AT is not the only trail that teaches hikers how to hike.It is just the dominant trail that is talked about here on WB.
    I am quite sure that there are plenty of posters here that are not AT thru hikers and post regularly here. Your post gives me the feeling that you feel privileged about posting here just because you are an AT thru hiker.Not a good feeling.

Having some respect for someone that has been posting in this forum for 10000 post is not going to hurt you no matter of their AT mileage. Choosing which forum they want to post their opinion is not your decision ,never been, never will.
    You post makes me feel like you didnt actually read my post. I said you DONT have to be a thru-hiker. It just seems odd that you would want to have so many AT centered conversations and never go on it. There are several good general hiking forums. I just find it strange, not wrong, I didnt say dont do it, and I didnt say you shouldnt do it. I am allowed to have an opinion and that was just my observation it is strange. I dont have any air of superiority. With that said I wont comment on other members here out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender8982 View Post
    Everyones cynicism and prejudice towards me(an American veteran) i honestly find disgusting, as i thiought this was a group of intelligent, warm-hearted, kind, open-minded individuals. I must say with sadness, that i have been proven wrong. JAK was correct, i have "decided" to budget $1000 as a personal challenge. PLEASE tell why hiking a 2000 mile trail is even considered an accomplishment is you pussy-footed your way down the trail on a pansy ass 6-7 month hike. stopping every couple days and enjoying a nice hot shower, and a few warm meals, curled up in a hotel bedroom. I want to finish and know that "I" did something hard. i want to feel the pain, call me a masochist, but i wouldnt feel any pride if i had a luxurious trip up the AT. The negative critics on here are probably the same people who would hike up Everest with a team sherpas to carry all your gear because youre too busy sipping fine coffee. I am a man, and i want to do this as a matter of pride, a personal challenge. I am about to begin Medical school and i want this last challenge before i spend the next 5-10 years in school and residency. And for the record im not a vagrant..I am a college educated man, that has my house in order. I have "Plenty" of money in the bank, That I earned Myself. i have no financial concerns. Thank you.
    P.S. as TOMP stated, Frugality is a "virtue" as defined by Benjamin Franklin, and apparently many of you missed that lesson in life. I apologize I am being offensive, but I am myself offended by a few of these comments.
    wow. issues. you wanna be a masochist, run this race under 9 hours like me. the AT is not much of a challenge
    http://www.eco-xsports.com/events/mmtr/

Maybe, if you could get someone, like a relative, to mail-drop supplies. Use a wood-burning stove(ie:Sierra Zip), like I do. With the zip stove you won't need to leave the trail to find fuel, could possibly swap cooking for share of food. This might work if another hiker(s) have ran out of fuel. I think it would be close to impossible to complete a thru-hike for $1000 without a lot of off and/or on-trail support/mooching. Forget it if you'll have to include transportation in this amount.

Everyones cynicism and prejudice towards me(an American veteran) i honestly find disgusting, as i thiought this was a group of intelligent, warm-hearted, kind, open-minded individuals. I must say with sadness, that i have been proven wrong. JAK was correct, i have "decided" to budget $1000 as a personal challenge. PLEASE tell why hiking a 2000 mile trail is even considered an accomplishment is you pussy-footed your way down the trail on a pansy ass 6-7 month hike. stopping every couple days and enjoying a nice hot shower, and a few warm meals, curled up in a hotel bedroom. I want to finish and know that "I" did something hard. i want to feel the pain, call me a masochist, but i wouldnt feel any pride if i had a luxurious trip up the AT. The negative critics on here are probably the same people who would hike up Everest with a team sherpas to carry all your gear because youre too busy sipping fine coffee. I am a man, and i want to do this as a matter of pride, a personal challenge. I am about to begin Medical school and i want this last challenge before i spend the next 5-10 years in school and residency. And for the record im not a vagrant..I am a college educated man, that has my house in order. I have "Plenty" of money in the bank, That I earned Myself. i have no financial concerns. Thank you.
    P.S. as TOMP stated, Frugality is a "virtue" as defined by Benjamin Franklin, and apparently many of you missed that lesson in life. I apologize I am being offensive, but I am myself offended by a few of these comments.
    WOW, you got some major problems LOL, please tell us your trail name or real name so we can track you on your at trip..... you came here ASKING if you could do it on 1k, and you have gotten your answer. now your going to cry its not the answer you wanted ??? a dumb plan is a dumb plan if your an american veteran or not.

And for someone about to "begin medical School", you would think you would be smart enough to listen and learn from these people telling you info and giving advice.... i really hope you are never my doctor with your piss poor planning.

I just got out of the military and i am starting a new life and this will be my first challenge, Thank you all.
    what branch of service and what MOS

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    what branch of service and what MOS
    In another thread he says he was in the airforce... never said MOS

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    In another thread he says he was in the airforce...

Also said he was active duty for 4 years...... 24 years old... either this guy is full of ***** about starting med school, of he was a complete POG while in and had ALOT of free time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOMP View Post
    You post makes me feel like you didnt actually read my post. I said you DONT have to be a thru-hiker. It just seems odd that you would want to have so many AT centered conversations and never go on it. There are several good general hiking forums. I just find it strange, not wrong, I didnt say dont do it, and I didnt say you shouldnt do it. I am allowed to have an opinion and that was just my observation it is strange. I dont have any air of superiority. With that said I wont comment on other members here out.
    Dear TOMP:
    Your post was short enough that I certainly read it twice before posting about it. You are definitely allowed to have opinion and nobody should stop you but your post was clear enough about your OPINION about JAK posting here. You find it strange or odd or any other word and I find it just normal.

Accepting mistakes we have made is a virtue that comes later in the life but is great if it comes earlier. I was way older than you when I started to accept that I might be wrong. I just hope you be wiser than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Dear TOMP:
    Your post was short enough that I certainly read it twice before posting about it. You are definitely allowed to have opinion and nobody should stop you but your post was clear enough about your OPINION about JAK posting here. You find it strange or odd or any other word and I find it just normal.

Accepting mistakes we have made is a virtue that comes later in the life but is great if it comes earlier. I was way older than you when I started to accept that I might be wrong. I just hope you be wiser than me.

You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. You can find it normal and I can find it strange and we can both be telling the truth about how we feel. How can you say I am allowed to have an opinion but then go on to say that my opinion is wrong. Why am I wrong because I dont agree with you? And sure I can be wrong too and Im entitled to do that.

Images

I have respect for you and your army duty and your decision about hiking AT under budget but please do not call others names. Walking 2180 miles is NOT an easy task even with all the luxuries that you mentioned let alone hiking 2180 miles of AT. Mounting Everest is NOT an easy task even if there are ten Sherpas to pamper you. You still need to hike about 5 million steps . If you want to make it tougher than it already is good for you but do not disrespect others who have done it the easier way. They have done it but you want to do it, the difference is just monumental at the moment.

Can you succeed? Who knows, it is up to you and your willpower.I wish you a safe and enjoyable journey.

You mentioned that you were feeding via a straw for such a long time and used it as a demonstration of your strong willpower. Did you have any other option for feeding at the time but you did not choose it? On AT you will always have the option of bailing out and pulling the plug which can make reaching to the end tougher than you think. Being in military service for 4 years can certainly gives you an edge but it does not make it a done deal.

If you like to make it more challenging than what it already I respect that but keep everything Realistic.

GOOD LUCK

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOMP View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. You can find it normal and I can find it strange and we can both be telling the truth about how we feel. How can you say I am allowed to have an opinion but then go on to say that my opinion is wrong. Why am I wrong because I dont agree with you? And sure I can be wrong too and Im entitled to do that.
    I apologize if my respond offended you but believe me if I say I really did not want to offend you.That was not my point.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I'd be the first to preach that we don't pay our service members enough, but how the hell do you get out after four years of active duty in the Air Force with only $1,000-$1,500 in your pocket?
    Your also the first to condemn a man on how he spends his money...let alone of an "active duty" "Air Force member" who fights for all of us. He gets paid nothing but how ******ing dare you have the arrogance to feel its your Right...to ask anyone besides yourself how they spend their money. What is the MATTER WITH YOU? Its people like you who make me sick...hypocrits true and in all ways. Your stating we dont pay enough to "our service members"...then you have the balls to ask where it went. SERIOUSLY *** IS WRONG WITH YOU...ACT YOUR AGE AND SHUTUP ABOUT how people spend their own money. Bender will be fine because he will be able to rely on TRUE HIKERS...aka people who want to help someone regardless of financial constraints. Woule be honored to buy any Service member a beer let alone a meal. if more Americans did their part to help our fellow American...we would all be better for it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    Talk is cheap.

People outlined potential problems and hurdles to completing the trail on $1,000. If you wanted everyone to be impressed with your goal, and basically just tell you what you wanted to hear, why start this thread? Are you that sensitive that you can't take hearing the problems inherent to your "plan"?

Come back when you've actually done this. Believe me, I think frugality is a good thing, and I really do hope you succeed. However, It's easy to call others' hikes "pussy-footed" from the confines of your home.
    Isn't it amazing how someone that thinks not being able to maintain weight while drinking through a straw is quite an accomplishment, but thru hiking isn't? This kid hasn't done a thing, comes up with a goal that doesn't seem to be researched in the least, and then wants our respect.

Frankly, I'm sick of people that call out their own military service. I did twice as much time, yet I believe this is the first time I've mentioned it on this forum. That's because it doesn't matter. If I want the respect of hikers, I'll earn it through knowledge and time on the trail.

"The intelligence of one man shall wash away the ignorance of so many fools" E. Kelley We show disregard to not only a man but a belief that protects us as we slumber. Without our Military we would not have an A.T or ******** showing up to hike in Benz and the like...we would be a Communist state of mind. All too many of you have become what you have feared most...YOUR PARENTS IN HEART AND MIND. How many of you slobs aka bashers have even done boot camp?! Would I consider hiking the A.T an accomplisment...not on your life. Its an adventure but so is walking outside your door...anything can happen and does. His choosing how he spends his money is his Right...its a privlege for anyone to walk among soldiers and the like. So be proud that you served us regardless of idiots from Canukastan jumping in...he said he was a Soldier he never mentioned Branch. Not all Soldiers are "Army"...utter ignorance knows no age limit.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Isn't it amazing how someone that thinks not being able to maintain weight while drinking through a straw is quite an accomplishment, but thru hiking isn't? This kid hasn't done a thing, comes up with a goal that doesn't seem to be researched in the least, and then wants our respect.

Frankly, I'm sick of people that call out their own military service. I did twice as much time, yet I believe this is the first time I've mentioned it on this forum. That's because it doesn't matter. If I want the respect of hikers, I'll earn it through knowledge and time on the trail.
    Big man with your headlamp photo album. What did you do again? Um its their RIGHT AS AMERICAN'S...TO SPEAK OF THEIR SERVICE. Your a Damned hypocrite "I did twice as much" *** did you do anyway? How do we even know what you did...no telling us what Branch IF ANY let alone how you scaled your time and what you did. More people need to respect soldiers...they put their lives on the lines every day. Where ever they are were protected in the knowledge they would lay down their lives...as all of us should to protect our Country for today and into the future.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    How many of you slobs aka bashers have even done boot camp?!
    Air Force boot camp is easy. Very easy. I thought it was fun...and amusing. I even gained weight, largely because I couldn't get nearly enough exercise.

This thread is nearly as amusing. In this thread an accomplishment is losing weight while drinking through a straw. Air Force boot camp is tough. Military service is being used to demand respect. The budget is $1,000 so firm that the trip will end early if that's not enough, but already admitted that he might "squeeze a few hundred more dollars into my budget". He's very physically fit person, but has gained 25 pounds of body fat.

As someone else said, this is a troll thread. Just look at what's been said.

Images

Big man with your headlamp photo album.
    How is that relevant?

What did you do again? Um its their RIGHT AS AMERICAN'S...TO SPEAK OF THEIR SERVICE. Your a Damned hypocrite
    As I said, it doesn't matter.

How do we even know what you did...no telling us what Branch IF ANY let alone how you scaled your time and what you did.
    I'm sure you could look it up if you really care. I don't care if you know or not. I did my time and did as much as I could. That time is over. My real name is used here if you want to do the research. Some of it may be impossible to learn of though.

More people need to respect soldiers...they put their lives on the lines every day. Where ever they are were protected in the knowledge they would lay down their lives...as all of us should to protect our Country for today and into the future.
    I'll respect their service. I don't need to respect the person.

Images

he said he was a Soldier he never mentioned Branch. Not all Soldiers are "Army"...utter ignorance knows no age limit.
    He mentioned it in another thread. You see, utter ignorance does not exclude you.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++