WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Shelter Avoidance Strategies in GSMNP

OK, so GSMNP has these draconian requirements that everybody MUST stay in shelters along the trail, unless they are already full. I am hammocking, and I really have no desire to attempt to sleep on those hard wooden floors crowded in with a bunch of snoring party animals. Are there any particular strategies that one can use to legally avoid having to stay in these things without having to time your arrival at two in the morning? Do these rangers track you down somehow if you are stealth camping a mile off the trail halfway between shelters? I fully understand their desire to reduce impact, but I believe hammock hanging, adhering to NTLB principles, are actually better for the environment than tent camping by a long shot, and one can avoid flu pandemics, unnecessarily uncomfortable sleeping arrangements, and shelter mice by snuggling into a nice blackbird out of the way. I also don't want to have to haul around this old two lb thermarest if I don't have to (I THINK it has a very slow leak in it and I really can't afford a neo-air right now, which seems to be the pad of choice for lightweight hiking). I'm 57 and can't sleep on rocks like I could when I was a kid. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Take the BMT through the park if not thru hiking. If thru hiking arrive late in the day to the shelter and hope it is full. Other then that there is no legal way to avoid the shelters on the AT.

Bring ear plugs and set your hammock up in the shelter.

Images

Get to the shelter late, or just hang around and don't claim a spot until after its full. Then it is legal to hang in the vicinity. Worked fine for me!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

I've got the SAME issue, and will follow this thread closely, and so far, the replies make sense. I had been actually thinking of a huge non-stop blitz from the southern end and have my wife pick me up at Clingmans dome, spend a night in town, then blitz the north end after a day of rest, something like that. Two huge days, weather and trail conditions permitting. But the full-shelter plan looks more reasonable.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    Get to the shelter late, or just hang around and don't claim a spot until after its full. Then it is legal to hang in the vicinity. Worked fine for me!
    Yeah, same here. If you're going NOBO on the usual timetable (i.e. you started in March or early-to-mid-April), the shelters will probably fill up every night. At least that's what happened on my hike. If it's not full when you get there, just pitch your tent or hang your hammock or whatever and wait. Pretty soon it'll be full and then you can say you tried the shelter but you just couldn't squeeze in.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

Do a VERY long mile day and hike from Fontana to Davenport in a day. Didn't squeaky do that?

Stir Fry

Nothing is impossible, But going the GSM in a day is beyond the average hiker, Two days, MAAAAAAAAAABE, but not one day.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

The hanging out strategy works, especially if you are hiking during the peak months. Once you get to Newfound Gap, you can hitch into town or keep on. I would avoid Tri-corner if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    That's what I did.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Two huge days, weather and trail conditions permitting. But the full-shelter plan looks more reasonable.
    My buddy did the full shelter plan. He was doing an AT section hike but has already done other western long trails. Being a western hiker, hiking all day was typical.

By the time he reached the shelter, it was pretty much full. Since he would rather tent it anyway rather use a shelter, the strategy worked out well. And it was legal.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks, guys.......I'm leaving Amacalola on the 1st of April, and no, I will not be pumping out big miles......I'll be happy if I can attain the 11 mile average I have budgeted to get to Damascus by Trail Days.

If the shelter isn't full, you can hang your hammock above the second story platform off of the rafters...it takes a couple of tries to get it right, but you'll be a few inches off of the top deck...that's what I did on my thru, but then again, no one else was in the shelters.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    If the shelter isn't full, you can hang your hammock above the second story platform off of the rafters...it takes a couple of tries to get it right, but you'll be a few inches off of the top deck...that's what I did on my thru, but then again, no one else was in the shelters.
    Well, actually HANGING inside a shelter is an acceptable alternative, as long as I don't have to step on someone getting out of it......

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Well, actually HANGING inside a shelter is an acceptable alternative, as long as I don't have to step on someone getting out of it......
    I know opinions vary on this, but I think hanging a hammock in a shelter is just as unacceptable as setting up a tent in a shelter.

If you're going to use the shelter, why not use it the way it was designed to be used?
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    That is incorrect

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Shelter Avoidance Strategies in GSMNP

I stated from the hit-go that I didn't want to use the shelters to begin with.......the whole idea behind hammocking is to get OFF the ground, or floor, whatever......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    I know opinions vary on this, but I think hanging a hammock in a shelter is just as unacceptable as setting up a tent in a shelter.

If you're going to use the shelter, why not use it the way it was designed to be used?

totally agree with you. Not sure why people think they can setup a tent or hang a hammock in a shelter.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

I went through the Smoky's in 2004 and at the time, they let hammock hangers hang outside even if the shelters weren't full. I talked to rangers almost every night. I did stay in a shelter on my third night, mostly because is was snowing outside and it was dark when I got to the shelter (after going 17 miles that day). Don't know if they still feel hammocks are OK outside or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post

Because shelter floors are really uncomfortable!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++