WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I've been back and forth on this one and finally today tossed the 4 oz Aquamira for a Clear Eyes bottle filled with bleech. I started counting the number of drops in the 1 oz bottle, got to 200 and quit. I'm guessing about 500 drops in a Clear Eyes bottle or about 250 liters of water...should get me to ME. Saving that 3 oz will allow me to take a real coffee cup.

Quote Originally Posted by sddavis View Post
    I've been back and forth on this one and finally today tossed the 4 oz Aquamira for a Clear Eyes bottle filled with bleech. I started counting the number of drops in the 1 oz bottle, got to 200 and quit. I'm guessing about 500 drops in a Clear Eyes bottle or about 250 liters of water...should get me to ME. Saving that 3 oz will allow me to take a real coffee cup.
    Good luck with that. Remember, chlorine is extremely effective for inactivating bacteria and a highly effective viricide. However, chlorine is less effective against Giardia cysts and cryptosporidium oocysts are highly resistant to chlorine according to the EPA.

Lightbulb A good little dispenser...

Quote Originally Posted by sddavis View Post
    1 US ounce= 456.0129 drops

At 3 drops of bleach per quart of water, you could purify 152 quarts (38 gallons) of water. That's 143.85 liters for those who use that backwards metric system!

I use old sinus spray bottles. I peel off the labels and I remove the spray top, pulling off the attached tube, clean them out and refill them with bleach. Then put the spray top back on the bottle minus the tube. I also use them for dish soap/hand cleaner (the Palmolive brand can be used for either purpose), shampoo, or whatever. I guess you could even use them for condiments for cooking, although I have never tried this. A one ounce bottle probably could hold about two ounces as the bottle is not filled to maximum capacity when sold. Be sure to clearly mark the bottles so you don't end up spraying bleach up your nose!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 03-19-2012 at 15:55.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

++ New Posts ++