WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How far will you go off trail to go to shelter or campsite?

Thread: Just how far?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Half a mile isn't too bad, unless it's all downhill.
    Yeah- lot's of people complained about the Sarver Hollow shelter because of this. It's .4 STRAIGHT downhill from the trail. But it is a great location: nice views, a boxed spring , good campsites for hammockers and ground dwellers alike and an old homestead to explore. Not to mention it's 666.0 miles from Springer- makes for good conversation while cooking and getting settled.

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    ...it's 666.0 miles from Springer...
    Off topic, but the address of my wife's grandfather's church is 666. If I were clergy there, I'd have requested a change. Or maybe just get a PO Box or something...mailing something to a church at 666 Anystreet is kinda creepy.

There's also an apartment building here in Monterey that's 666 Hilby St. I think they're proud of it b/c they have the normal 666 address posted, then a big huge 666 over the doorway...like 24" letters.

But then, some people just don't think about things like this...maybe they never even realized it. My wife's grandfather didn't understand when I commented on the numbers...so I just let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Off topic, but the address of my wife's grandfather's church is 666. If I were clergy there, I'd have requested a change. Or maybe just get a PO Box or something...mailing something to a church at 666 Anystreet is kinda creepy.

There's also an apartment building here in Monterey that's 666 Hilby St. I think they're proud of it b/c they have the normal 666 address posted, then a big huge 666 over the doorway...like 24" letters.

But then, some people just don't think about things like this...maybe they never even realized it. My wife's grandfather didn't understand when I commented on the numbers...so I just let it go.
    I would think this would be like so many buildings not having a 13th floor. Superstition might not be real- but why take the chance? To me having that address (666) would be an invitation to demons, etc..or at the very least become the target of cults or the like.

It depends entirely on the weather.

When it's pouring rain out, even half a mile isn't far if you know there's a
    shelter at the end of it, and even if you have to go uphill the next morning to get back to the Trail, it's a small price to pay. The only thing worse than breaking down camp in horrible weather is settitng it up.

++ New Posts ++