WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Yea resupply wise had kind of thought I'd do Breck, TL, Monarch in case didn't have time to go into Salida and LC.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twin Lakes to Monarch on the Collegiate West trail is feasible without resupply?
    Right. If you're a greyhound. Grinning.
    Never mind. Back to the drawing board.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Twin Lakes to Monarch on the Collegiate West trail is feasible without resupply?
    Wayne

It is 78 miles on some of the newest as best tread on the CT. It goes high but is not particularly difficult. Probably 4 - 5 days.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    It is 78 miles on some of the newest as best tread on the CT. It goes high but is not particularly difficult. Probably 4 - 5 days.
    WaaaaY better than the east!!!! Loved it!

WaaaaY better than the east!!!! Loved it!

Yes. Some of us have known that since forever.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Yes. Some of us have known that since forever.
    Wayne

Confused here. I thought that was the East Coast.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The Conoco is the store I spoke about several posts back. Seems I'm damned whether I gave details or when I don't.

Guessing I'm talking to myself.

There are places in Copper MT that will hold a box. You may even contact the Conoco NICELY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    saltysack, from your profile it is showing you are located in Florida. I only bring that up because coming from low elevation to the higher elevation is going to take time to adjust even with a light pack. Most hikers used the Official CT Guidebook or the CT app. Both will tell you everything you need to know. It not worth spending any more money on things you don't need.

If you are in good shape, 21+ miles/day is do able even without the food catches. Food catches are going to take about a day or two to set up and get back to Denver. That is time you could use hiking.
    Wayne
    DW...I'll do some more checking around as it gets closer, again thx for all the helpful info...

Wolf...I'm not planning on going any food caches just premailed boxes.. I realize I'll need to acclimate as I'm hoping I'll be good after a few days before getting too high. In the past haven't had altitude issues others than out of breath etc. with the boxes I'm just trying to limit wasted time getting into town etc.

Wolf...I'm not planning on going any food caches just premailed boxes.. I realize I'll need to acclimate as I'm hoping I'll be good after a few days before getting too high. In the past haven't had altitude issues others than out of breath etc. with the boxes I'm just trying to limit wasted time getting into town etc.

Ok, now I'm tracking. Your first option is either Breckridge. Breckridge is a day closer but has a free bus that goes right into town from the trail. One of the stops is also a Supermarket. Cooper Mountain no longer has a Post Office. It about a day out of Breckridge. You can stop there and maybe get a $$ meal and drink but that is about all.

Twin Lakes is a mile off the trail and has limited selection. Many people will send a drop here. When I went through in late July the hiker boxes were over full big time.

Buena Vista and Salida and Gunnison all have supermarket to stock up. I didn't have to go into Gunnison during my thru-hike. It is a long hitch but still an option.

Given a choice between Creede and Lake City. I only drove through Creede. It is a small old mining town with limited stores. Lake City has a hiker trail friend, former thru-hiker name Lucky who gives hikers rides in and out of towns. He picks up and drops off at 1230. He also runs the Lucky at Raven's Rest hostel. You can get by with the two stores in town but you may want to send yourself a package here.

Hope this helps.

Wolf

Images

... I realize I'll need to acclimate as I'm hoping I'll be good after a few days before getting too high. In the past haven't had altitude issues others than out of breath etc. ...
    After following your CT hikes last summer, and this time starting in Denver, I don't think you'll have any altitude issues, those first 72 miles follow a good acclimation profile. A lot of people confuse simply having less oxygen to breathe and having the shortness of breath to "altitude sickness" and wig out about it.

Wayne
    You lost me.....

Wayne

Yep was a ball buster did it in lil over 3.5 days on the loop....I did a food cache last year Y CP but was not there when I arrived so hitched into BV for resupply. Next time I'll carry 4 days worth...too much time waisted hitching etc.....

++ New Posts ++