WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Shelters - Who likes them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

During my thru hike last year, I found the shelters not very comfortable during the summer months due to the bugs, crowds and snoring. So tenting was preferred about half the time. For most of the hike, September to January, the shelters were pratically, many times literally, empty and I used them almost exclusively. It was just so convenient not to mess with the tent. However, I have resolved to steath camp more the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    What's that shelter a couple days south of Pearisburg that's like an old fire-watcher's cabin or something? It's up on a bald. It's a real cabin with a door and chimney and a roof that's held down with big cables because the wind up there is ferocious. I was there alone one night and a huge group of teenagers piled in. They were from the midwest on some kind of religious retreat with three or four adults. I hate religion like poison, but that was one of my best nights on the trail ever, hanging out with a bunch of kids on their first camping trip and listening to them talk all night.

I think you are referring to Chestnut Knob Shelter.

Images

Images

I hate, hate, hate that sound of little scurrying mice feet (and snoring). I prefer stealth tenting, but that's just me. I enjoy stopping at the shelters to be social, and I'll be in there like most people when it's windy or when tenting is banned.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Images

I sent my tarp home but kept my net-tent (Ray-Way)to use in the shelters for sleeping.Worked great,no bug bites,no mouse problemsand it was perfect for cowboy camping.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    Over time I have moved from a dependency on shelters to a view similar to Sgt. Rock: nice spots for meals and perhaps on extreme weather, but my hammock is much more comfy and I avoid the snoring and shifting.
    I also think Kerosene says it about right.... will add that haven't had weather extreme enough to drive me to a shelter or ground in 30 months now... just finished three nights out including high winds and driving rain and thunder and lightening.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Like the old joke about the merits of heaven and hell - shelters for company and the woods for climate. I don't like sharing my space with rodents so rarely stay in shelters and divorced my ex-husband.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TACKLE
    I sent my tarp home but kept my net-tent (Ray-Way)to use in the shelters for sleeping.Worked great,no bug bites,no mouse problemsand it was perfect for cowboy camping.
    The only problem Tackle is it doesn't muffle snoring......either coming from within or being generated from another........and that umbrella part is a hazard if you're too close to your fellow hikers.

peace,

Crutch

Images

shelters suck,people are spoiled and lazy lol,i hate crowds they sucks neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by crutch
    The only problem Tackle is it doesn't muffle snoring......either coming from within or being generated from another........and that umbrella part is a hazard if you're too close to your fellow hikers.

peace,

Crutch
    Crutch, Sorry about that umbrella whack to the head.As you know I modified my system after that.That was a fun night though, between the snoring and farting I can't believe anybody got any sleep.
    Aloha
    TACKLE

Shelter floors kill my back. I don't mind the mice or the snoring (most of it's mine) . I used to use them all the time until I lightened my pack load by dumping what I didn't need, and replacing what I needed with lighter stuff.

Now I tarp or hammock, mostly, unless I'm with another hiker, then I might bring a tent.

After I set up my personal shelter, I usually try to cook at the established shelter and talk to the folks staying there. I usually have a good time, so I can't recommend removing them. Some folks like them more than I do, and I like some of those folks!

When people hear me snoring at my tentsite, they're glad I don't usually use shelters.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I need sleep, so I stay away from shelters, except to chat with some of the hikers I met earlier on the trail, read and sign log book. Lot of the folks who use shelters are those that go home the next day and sleep for 38 hours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++