WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Apparently, but you have to bring your editing pencil according to what I'm not reading.
    That's off topic Wargy
    WALK ON

Images

I wasn't stopping the off topic - just tired of the same damn argument on a new thread. An argument which had nothing to do with the topic.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Originally Posted by warraghiyagey
    Apparently, but you have to bring your editing pencil according to what I'm not reading.
    That's off topic Wargy
    It was a private joke Sarge
    Last edited by woodsy; 10-21-2007 at 21:53.
    WALK ON

Images

Ohhhhh, nevermind.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    It was a private joke Sarge
    Woodsy, glad at least you and I got it. Rock no offense, just bein funny, in fact I didn't know who was moderating but enjoy the effort you put in for sure, as well as all the others. But, back to the topic at hand. . . anyone?

I love these threads where half the posts are blank.

I would have Steve FAX you a copy, have your parents sign it and notorize it and then FAX it back to Steve so that nothing is last minute. Also make a copy to keep home and carry the original with you to give to Steve when you arrive there. This is all just to protect the ferry service and Steve himself. The release has nothing to do with crossing safely, it is all about insurance companies and litigation. Steve's insurance company would never give the advice to ford but they probably wish that all hikers did...that would totally remove Steve from liability.

geek

Kirby,

As a parent who has left young chidren in the care of others, I have this suggestion for you regarding legal forms. (If you have heard this stuff before, just stop reading...)

Before you leave for the trail, have your parents write a letter giving authorization to physicians, in any state, treating you for sickness or injury on the trail. Also, it needs to be noterized. This letter may get you faster health care in the case of an emergency.

Also, make sure you bring your social security card. If you do not have a state licence or driving permit, consider getting a state ID card (cheap - usually $20) or a US passport (more expensive - $80?). If you don't want to get these, bring your SS card and certified (stamped with state seal) birth certificate with you. These forms of ID will always be helpful.

You may also need a simiar note (to the medical one above) in order to check into hotels / motels. Hostels shouldn't be an issue. But, If you try and get into a decent motel at some point, you will probably need something saying that your parents will take responsibility for your actions.

Same idea goes for the ferryman release.

Quote Originally Posted by latte View Post
    Kirby,

As a parent who has left young chidren in the care of others, I have this suggestion for you regarding legal forms. (If you have heard this stuff before, just stop reading...)

Before you leave for the trail, have your parents write a letter giving authorization to physicians, in any state, treating you for sickness or injury on the trail. Also, it needs to be noterized. This letter may get you faster health care in the case of an emergency.

Also, make sure you bring your social security card. If you do not have a state licence or driving permit, consider getting a state ID card (cheap - usually $20) or a US passport (more expensive - $80?). If you don't want to get these, bring your SS card and certified (stamped with state seal) birth certificate with you. These forms of ID will always be helpful.

You may also need a simiar note (to the medical one above) in order to check into hotels / motels. Hostels shouldn't be an issue. But, If you try and get into a decent motel at some point, you will probably need something saying that your parents will take responsibility for your actions.

Same idea goes for the ferryman release.
    Kirby, as always your folks will have the best advice for you. With that said, under no circumstances should you bring your social security card with you.
    As well do not bring an original or stamped copy of your birth certificate.
    As far as ID goes, one copy of a picture ID (I wouldn't recommend Passport either), and an easily accessible copy of emergency contact info.
    When you get to the Kennebec, you'll get by. The Ferryman is not the Gestapo.
    Don't sweat it til you get out there where it's sweaty. Then enjoy.
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Kirby, as always your folks will have the best advice for you. With that said, under no circumstances should you bring your social security card with you.
    As well do not bring an original or stamped copy of your birth certificate.
    As far as ID goes, one copy of a picture ID (I wouldn't recommend Passport either), and an easily accessible copy of emergency contact info.
    When you get to the Kennebec, you'll get by. The Ferryman is not the Gestapo.
    Don't sweat it til you get out there where it's sweaty. Then enjoy.
    Peace
    Yep, all you need is a drivers license or state ID card, an ATM card, a credit card if possible, a health insurance card if you have coverage, and a list of phone numbers with a calling card number. It is NOT recommended that you carry your birth certificate or social security card or even your social security number written down because of the problems with identity fraud.

Also, the age of consent for health care treatment varies from state to state with some being as high as eighteen but care is rendered in an emergency without parental consent regardless.
    Last edited by Appalachian Tater; 10-22-2007 at 01:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Yep, all you need is a drivers license or state ID card, an ATM card, a credit card if possible, a health insurance card if you have coverage, and a list of phone numbers with a calling card number. It is NOT recommended that you carry your birth certificate or social security card or even your social security number written down because of the problems with identity fraud.
    Thanks Tater, you said it about as clearly as it can be said. Kirby, Taters advice includes everything you need regarding this topic.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I sent the ferryman the question I asked here, once I get a response, I will post it for future reference, thanks for the advice everyone,

Kirby

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Kirby, the notarized letter Latte recommends might be a good idea. A state ID card or driver's license or a passport is also a good idea.

While your Social Security card and certified birth certificate are sometimes useful when traveling international, I join others in saying that these items are not needed on the trail as you do not cross into another country. All state governments in the US accept other state's ID card and driver's license as proof of identity.

whats all this garbage about signing forms and sending fax's. this is a guy with a canoe that shuttles you across a moderate river. ill be surprised if he has a phone. just go on your journey and dont let people tell you what you can and cant do. shame on everyone for encouraging the boy to conform to the signing of "legal" documents and such the at is about freedom anyone who wants to go and walk it on thier own accord can do so, and no one can tell him/her otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbx View Post
    whats all this garbage about signing forms and sending fax's. this is a guy with a canoe that shuttles you across a moderate river. ill be surprised if he has a phone. just go on your journey and dont let people tell you what you can and cant do. shame on everyone for encouraging the boy to conform to the signing of "legal" documents and such the at is about freedom anyone who wants to go and walk it on thier own accord can do so, and no one can tell him/her otherwise.
    i agree. much ado about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbx View Post
    You know, for only having 3 posts, you already have this "stupid reply" thing down.

This has nothing to do with freedoms...you have already lost those in these situations due to insurance companies. Whether you inderstand it or not, insurance companies rule our world.
    Steve is a GREAT guy and I doubt that he would ever refuse a canoe crossing to anyone but to transport without a signed reliability release is certainly putting his own business at risk. The insurance companies go as far as rating the difficulty of the water being navigated.

geek

Is this consent/waiver form something new? I have no memory of this form.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

While I agree a signed, notarized letter is overkill for the purpose of the ferry ride, I don't agree it is overkill when a minor hiking alone needs to see a doctor, clinic or hospital ER to check a nasty looking blister or cut or to treat a bad cold, trail trots, infected eye, sprain ect. Obviously, no medical facility is going to do something like major surgery without contacting the parents, but many will render routine treatment on the weight of such a letter.

A minor would likely need such a letter to be able to check into a motel. It would also likely keep him from being detained by LEOs as a possible runaway child.

there's always been a waiver

Images

Well if there is a waiver and he blew it off until he showed up then found out he couldn't use the ferry if he wants to because of this one little detail - it would be a bad thing.

On the other hand if he is sitting around sharpening pencils and packing socks and gets the idea to check and be ready ahead of time just in case - he might be wasting time, but he has time to waste doing it and it is his time.

Ounce of prevention sort of thing. Or PPPPPP (Propper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance). It is a pretty interesting point and I think Kirby is a heck of a sharp kid for thinking of it. And you know what makes me think that: the fact that with the WhiteBlaze brain trust all rubbing their brain cells together - no one actually knows the answer to this one.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++