WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: would you swtich from a sleeping bag to quilt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default converting from sleeping bag to quilt

how many people would consider switching from sleeping bag to quilt
    advantages are
    1.lighter
    2.more comfortable
    3.less exspensive.
    4.easier to make
    5. more compact
    6.easy to use in a hammock.
    7.they are sexier
    Last edited by neo; 05-26-2005 at 19:46.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    advantages are
    1.lighter
    2.more comfortable
    3.less exspensive.
    4.easier to make
    5. more compact
    7.they are sexier
    I am going to try one of these. I'll have to get someone to make me one from the kit because I have never sewn a thing, in my life except a few buttons, and I did a poor job at that.

I have also thought about the Western Mounatineering POD 15. It is a 15 degree bag but it unzips all the way down. It is a bag with very little fill on the back but incorporates a pad right into it. Thas Kinda likea quilt.

If I dont like the self-inflating pad I could easily cut a foam pad to fit.

I know I wish I had a quilt during the warmest parts of the AT. Then, a quilt would have been warm enough and would have had most of the advantages listed.

However, in colder weather a sleeping bag kicks butt over a quilt. And keeping you warm is what a sleeping bag or quilt is all about!

Images

here are a couple links if ya want a down quilt jackrbetter
    if ya want synthetic try fanatic fringe
    if ya wanna make your own ray way quilt kit neo

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...ng%20Quilt.htm

http://www.fanaticfringe.com/page6.html

http://www.ray-way.com/quilt/index.shtml

tideblazer
    Images

I switched a while ago. Made mine, and it holds two -snug.

Never a problem staying warm. 'cept when I'm all alone.

Does anybody hear that country music?
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Colter
    I know I wish I had a quilt during the warmest parts of the AT. Then, a quilt would have been warm enough and would have had most of the advantages listed.

However, in colder weather a sleeping bag kicks butt over a quilt. And keeping you warm is what a sleeping bag or quilt is all about!
    not really quilts and sleeping bags are rated by loft,loft traps air
    that where the r value comes in,i sleep in a hammock in the 20,s
    never got cold yet neo

Default Temperatures and Usage

not really quilts and sleeping bags are rated by loft,loft traps air
    that where the r value comes in,i sleep in a hammock in the 20,s
    never got cold yet neo
    What I'm saying is that it depends on the temperature more than anything. Polar explorers or people climbing cold mountains carry sleeping bags, because they offer more warmth for the weight. A sleeping bag will be warmer than a quilt of the same loft, because with a quilt you tend to lose lots of warmth around the edges.

Maybe quilts work well in a hammock where you're "cocooned" a little more. I know they're not as warm in a tent or under the stars.

Regardless of theory, if it works well for you, that's all that matters.

Images

What I'm saying is that it depends on the temperature more than anything. Polar explorers or people climbing cold mountains carry sleeping bags, because they offer more warmth for the weight. A sleeping bag will be warmer than a quilt of the same loft, because with a quilt you tend to lose lots of warmth around the edges.

Maybe quilts work well in a hammock where you're "cocooned" a little more. I know they're not as warm in a tent or under the stars.

i understand what you are saying,but to help remedy the loss of r value/heat loss i added a couple elastic straps that snugg the quilt around my bodi,yes on an artic expedition or mountaineering expedtion extreme down bag for extreme weather fits the bills,but for what i do,he quilt works just fine. neo

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Switched to a quilt 3 years ago....best move ever....yea it leaks air on the ground when one tosses and turns....but in a hammock this is never a problem...and, since I've not gone to ground in over two years, it is never a problem....quilts and underquilts are the way to go in hammocks...But then I'm biased.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

It is probably my next progression. I basically sleep with my sleeping bag over me and not in it anyway. Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Question Quilt & sleeping Bag?

Has anyone used the combination of a quilt over a bag in cold weather?

I have a Kelty 30* Light Year bag I have used comfortably down into the 20s. I was thinking about a quilt for summertime use, and putting it over the above bag for winter use. It would be a lot cheaper than buying a winter bag for only occasional use.

Any experience? Thoughts?

Journal Entries
    Images

advantages are
    1.lighter
    2.more comfortable
    3.less exspensive.
    4.easier to make
    5. more compact
    7.they are sexier

HAMMOCK....SCHMAMMOCK!
    QUILT.........SCHMILT!

Give me a sleeping bag any day...& with the DOWN bags approaching the SUB-POUND weight area....

i like my mummy bag!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

i've already got a virtual quilt with my WM Caribou, at 20oz... i'm a hammocker, and seldom sleep in the bag, but drape it over me.

Jaybird Schmaybird...the Anti-Hammock Crusader!! MUAHAHAHA!!

I like quilts in the hammock. A wide enough one seems like a lighter way to sleep on the ground, too...but I haven't tried to figure out how wide makes me comfortable. That would mean sleeping on the uncomfortable ground. And, well, it's just not worth it to me to do that...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird

HAMMOCK....SCHMAMMOCK!
    QUILT.........SCHMILT!

Give me a sleeping bag any day...& with the DOWN bags approaching the SUB-POUND weight area....

i like my mummy bag!
    hammock hanging is the only way to fly neo

hammock hanging is the only way to fly neo
    Some of us are better grounded than others.

Images

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird

HAMMOCK....SCHMAMMOCK!
    QUILT.........SCHMILT!

i like my mummy bag!
    Yup, I'm in total agreement here. Quilts are fine if you happen to be in a hammock or something, where gusts of cold air won't go under the edge of the quilt, but if you're a tent or tarp camper you are going to want that pure down warmth up on Springer in March and April!

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by littlelaurel59
    Has anyone used the combination of a quilt over a bag in cold weather?

I have a Kelty 30* Light Year bag I have used comfortably down into the 20s. I was thinking about a quilt for summertime use, and putting it over the above bag for winter use. It would be a lot cheaper than buying a winter bag for only occasional use.

Any experience? Thoughts?
    Stu Bilby, sleeping bag editor at BPL, used a No Sniveller over a thirty degree bag on his Napal Trip... Think they were out something like seven weeks unsupported... He has reports at yahoo groups, Backpackinglight and on the BPL site ( picture there also).... He alternated between using it as an over quilt and a quilt liner...both worked....What he reports really liking was using it as camp wear, convenient, warm and enabled him to eliminate an insulated top.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

GAME 2000
    Images

My experience has been the same as yours when I have used a sleeping bag as a quilt and it works that way in a hammock as well. A hammock does tend to wrap around you but you still have to try to keep ever thing tucked and any movement causes air leaks somewhere. The hood, foot pocket, draft tubes and drawstrings for the chest/neck and hood work wonders in a well designed sleeping bag.

I use my sleeping bags basically the same way in a hammock as I did when I slept on the ground, use it as a quilt until I need more warmth and then I get in it and use it as a sleeping bag. It is more difficult to get in a sleeping bag in a hammock and quilt style is not as restrictive, so a quilt or using your sleeping bag as a quilt is the way to go in a hammock as long as you are warm enough.

I've always thought the primary tradeoff was comfort versus warmth, but that is when that is all you are using. A quilt sounds like a great way to extend the temperature rating of a sleeping bag, but it needs to be the right size to do that as its girth requirements are different if it goes on top of a sleeping bag versus inside a sleeping bag and likewise the girth requirements of a sleeping bag will be different if you are using a quilt inside it. If you sleep with a warm jacket with an effective hood, then a wide enough quilt will likely work as well as a good mummy bag. There are lots of ways to do the same things but you need to pay attention to some of the details to make sure your system does every thing you need it to do.

Images

conventional sleeping bags suck,quilts rule neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...p?i=6063&c=577

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++