WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How Tough to Hike is the Trail in Southern PA--Pine Grove Furnace to Penn Mar?

I'm working on planning a section hike of this stretch with one other person in mid-October. Our normal length of section hikes on the AT averages 12 miles a day.

Thinking of covering this 37 miles in 3 (full) days? Is this stretch harder than average?

We'd plan to have done our car spotting the day before starting, to make sure to get a full day of hiking on the day we start.

Sounds from the previous straightforward thread that the rocks won't be any worse than in the Maryland stretches just to the south.

My impression that this stretch is average to a little easier than average. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something before getting out there with only about 11 hours of daylight.

Images

I did that stretch nobo this year with plantar fasciitis and made it in three. Your first day should be a long one, the terrain is flat with few bumps and small hills NO goat paths, I did a 17.1 in the area, the second day is a little tougher and the final day will hardest of the three but not to bad only the final climb will be toughest part steeper and rocky but you will be doing shorter days so the will help. Remember this is IMHO and YMMV because I am slow and old and broken. PS Also I thought Maryland was wonderful to tread on most of the time.

ENJOYIMGP1580.jpg PEN-MAR area view
    Last edited by Busky2; 07-11-2014 at 11:36.

Thanks, Busky! Enjoyed the Penn Mar view at the end of my northbound walk into there a couple of years ago. Good tip on the easier stretch being south from Pine Grove.

I'm a long way from young myself, but we will have had a weeklong hike a couple of weeks earlier, so should be in decent condition.

Footingwise, the rockiest stretch is the aptly-named Rocky Mountain south from Rt. 30 leaving Caledonia SP. On the whole, your 37 miles is easier than the "average" AT and I think your 3 days is entirely attainable.

You should have no problem doing this section in three days. I felt that this a much easier than average section of the AT. I hiked it in two days early this spring in the rain. The water was decent in this section and the AWOL trail guide and map in this section was accurate. Easy places to park vehicles at both ends of the hike.

HangR and Cookr,

Thank you both! Good to have the confirmation that my planning is realistic.

Patrick

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    I'm working on planning a section hike of this stretch with one other person in mid-October. Our normal length of section hikes on the AT averages 12 miles a day.

Thinking of covering this 37 miles in 3 (full) days? Is this stretch harder than average?
    I did this about two years ago in October, I think it was. I'd describe it as fairly average and three days to do 37 miles a good plan.

If you want pics, I'll post a link to my photo album of the trip.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Snacktime and I hiked this section with no problem at all, so how hard could it be? Make sure you enjoy the pool at Caledonia State Park!

(of course we hiked it in 5 days of 7+ mpd, but we took the "leisurely stroll" approach )
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 07-12-2014 at 13:29.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Rain Man, thanks! I'd enjoy the photo link.

T&S, we'll miss the pool season, but shouldn't be too late for decent weather. See you're from my wife's home state!

Images

Here ya go. Enjoy.

Oct '12 PA hike to Swatara Gap from MD line.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

T&S, we'll miss the pool season, but shouldn't be too late for decent weather. See you're from my wife's home state!
    From what part of RI does she hail? Perhaps you should check out the RI Ramble hike group page & consider joining us this September!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Rain Man, Thanks!

Two comments and a question. You folks covered a lot of ground, and I liked your taking pictures of the other groups.

More importantly, how big WAS that spider?

T&S, she's from Pawtucket, but hasn't lived there in 35 years.

I noticed your group and it looks like fun, but have enough going on that dedicating week and a long weekend to hiking is pushing the limits this fall already!

I have taken note of the cliff walk for future reference, though!

Images

More importantly, how big WAS that spider?
    LOL ... two or three inches from tip to tip, I guess. Just wait till you walk into an orb-weavers web at face level in the dark. You'd swear such a spider was a foot across and weighed half a pound!!! LOL

Rain Man

After talking with my hiking partner, we just went from PennMar to Pine Grove Furnace in 3 1/2 days. Started early afternoon Thursday, finished early afternoon Sunday. We used the extra time for a resupply (and car camp) at Caledonia so we only had to carry one night's food at a time. Nice hike, mostly good walking weather, and beautiful shelters.

Could have done it in 3 without much trouble, but we enjoyed the easier pace.

this is one of the easier sections of the entire trail.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I did this section with my (now) ex-wife, who was then my long-time girlfriend, in June 1979. She had never backpacked before and wasn't in great shape, and we were able to cover 12 mpd without an issue, despite the sometimes rocky terrain. Of course, that was the last backpacking trip she ever joined me on, so take this with a grain of salt.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    this is one of the easier sections of the entire trail.
    Agree. ....

just did pen-mar to shippensburg rd in may and shippensburg rd to boiling springs 2 weeks ago. we're very slow hikers and we did the section you're talking about in about 4 days. We found it much easier than Maryland even. Hope you have a good time!

++ New Posts ++