WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Female hiker inviting herself to sleep in a stranger's tent? Hmm...

From here: http://appalachiantrail2010.blogspot.com/

We trudged on from Neels Gap (in the rain) and when we arrived at our destination for the night, the shelter was full and we had no tents. I thought we would have to spend the night sleeping in the mud under the shelter, with all the mice. No way! There was a young man who had arrived at the same time as us and was assembling his 2- person tent. I invited myself to sleep in his tent with him for the night, and he obliged. Based on his reaction, I think it's rare for a woman in these parts to be so bold. I was thankful to have a dry and semi-warm place to rest my head for the night. Temperatures that night and the following two nights went below freezing- it was so cold!

Is she serious?

Images

theres a reason that women arent normally this bold, because bad things happen to them when they are. dumb move sista

Images

And this also.....
    The longer I am out here, the more apparent it becomes that the thru-hiking community is predominantly composed of men, many of whom neglect to show me respect and aknowledge that I exist. Some have implied that I shouldn't be out here, and that long distance hiking is a man's leisure activity. After three nights of tolerating these fraternity house attitudes, and enduring the skeptical glances, I decided to show the men why I am out here. On Wednesday morning everyone packed up and moved out to hike the ten miles to Dick's Creek Gap (where we had our box of food hidden). I waited until all the men had started hiking, and then I took off like lightning down the trail. Within five miles, I passed every single one of those men, and I left them eating my trail of dust. I was hoping to show them that I am just as physically and mentally capable as they are. I finished the ten miles in record time, so I sat around waiting and watching as all the men I had passed hours ago arrived. When the man who had been sending dirty looks in my direction arrived, he finally asked me "what's your name?" It worked! I put them all in their place and gained their respect as a fellow thru-hiker. Now they were interested in knowing who I am.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Entitled Feminists for 500 Alex.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

You can really go fast when you don't bring a tent, too!

(A group of 3 with no tents..seems, odd?)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

[QUOTE=Toolshed;990596]And this also.....
    ...... I was hoping to show them that I am just as ...mentally capable as they are.../QUOTE]

If you choose not to bring a tent or shelter on a long-distance hike, no you are not.

She should be carrying her own shelter, be it a tarp, tent, hammock, yurt, whatever. Especially if temps are dropping that low at night.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

stupid b***h comes to mind

Was this group not a group of 4? Are they not supposedly shooting a documentry? Why don't they have some form of shelter?

This could be a fun blog to follow...

Images

I'd love to read the TJs of some of these "frat boys", especially the polite young young man who got bullied into letting this spoilt woman into his tent.

Love how they make fun of Ron Haven's employee's "southern accent" () too. Making comments like "Through the thick accent (imagine King of the Hill's Boomhauer)...

i was invited to stay in a lady's tent a few times i didnt carry a tent and the shelter was full i was grateful for it was wet and rainy. but inviteing your self into someone elses tent seems kinda sketch and rude.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I would not let a woman I didn't know tent with me because it's not beyond the realm of possibility that she could make accusations against _me_.

Do everyone a favor -bring your own shelter.

What a nut job.

I hope he used a condom.

It happens. I was hiking with TUK and a young woman caught up to us and was going to cowboy camp with us. TUK and I had tents and she didn't. Just as we settled down for the night it started raining. She slept in TUKs tent for the night. The primary conversation the next day as we hiked was whether TUK got credit for sleeping with a woman even though nothing happened.

omg.......

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
    ....Love how they make fun of Ron Haven's employee's "southern accent" () too. Making comments like "Through the thick accent (imagine King of the Hill's Boomhauer)...
    Wonder where they're from? "Thickness" of local accents aren't limited to the mountain South. Many New Englanders' accents are "thick" in their way also.

Thru hike attempt?
    No tent?
    It's cold.
    It's wet.
    Ah-oh...

Hiking the AT shelter to shelter is often the plan. The chance that shelters may be full is reason enough to carry a tent, or other shelter. (And the mice and the ants and the snoring, etc, etc, etc...)

However, the countless "unknowns" in between each and every shelter along the AT are the reasons you should carry one.
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

I wish i had a tent I hardley kept enough food in my pack but for the most part i never had a problem with not haven a tent only had to find a tent or a tarp twice i liked cowboyn on nice nights.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    ...it's not beyond the realm of possibility that she could make accusations against _me_.
    +

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    Entitled Feminists for 500 Alex.
    = not good

I'm struck by Ron's offer of "a box of stuff" at Franklin. Sounds like Ron is going over the top to take care of a novice hiker again. I don't see any evidence that she is aware of it, though.

Hey, LW: I know it's "just walking," but maybe there should be a bit of "skill" in how its done? Maybe it's just backpacking?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++