WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

If you're looking at a poncho, or any raingear where you want better ventilation, you should check out The Packa. Certainly it's a lot more expensive than a Wal*Mart off-the-shelf poncho, but it's a lot more versatile and less 'flappy' than your typical poncho.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    If you're looking at a poncho, or any raingear where you want better ventilation, you should check out The Packa. Certainly it's a lot more expensive than a Wal*Mart off-the-shelf poncho, but it's a lot more versatile and less 'flappy' than your typical poncho.
    That's really cool- thanks for posting that, I might actually get one. I've been having difficulty with rain gear for a while. I have an OR pack cover that I love, but having something that covers the WHOLE pack AND me? Cool.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I would probably use a Packa if it could cover a fully loaded 6500-7000 cubic inch pack. Do they custom make large Packas?

Quote Originally Posted by springerfever View Post
    I've had my Integral Designs silponcho for a couple of years now and it's a great piece of equipment. I like the fact that it completely covers your pack and can be easily tied around you if windy. Nice snap arrangement also. I hate the hot clammy feel of any raingear when your hiking and a poncho gives you the best breathability that I've found. Does a great job of keeping your pack dry too, with no gap between you and your pack. Great design and doubles as a groundcloth also. All of ten ounces..much lighter than most raingear. Link is below :

http://www.integraldesigns.com/produ...roducttypeid=1
    The same problem as with the Packa, too small for a huge pack.

I never could find a poncho that kept me or my gear dry. And it got terribly hot while backpacking. And it would flap around in the wind. I'll stick to my rain jacket and pack cover.

Default Custom and xl Packas

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I would probably use a Packa if it could cover a fully loaded 6500-7000 cubic inch pack. Do they custom make large Packas?
    I used to make customs like this, and I hope to be able to offer them again someday. But, I have been very busy remodeling 2 houses. I am almost finished with the one I plan to sell, just need to clean it up and touch up some paint, maybe replace a few deck boards. Anybody want to buy a house in Marion VA? I have to sell it in order to thruhike again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The same problem as with the Packa, too small for a huge pack.

I never could find a poncho that kept me or my gear dry. And it got terribly hot while backpacking. And it would flap around in the wind. I'll stick to my rain jacket and pack cover.
    I just received 2 new size samples from my manufacturer. The new xl has a larger Packcover and longer sleeves, but I doubt it would fit a 7000 ci pack. Is your pack external frame?
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post
    I used to make customs like this, and I hope to be able to offer them again someday. But, I have been very busy remodeling 2 houses. I am almost finished with the one I plan to sell, just need to clean it up and touch up some paint, maybe replace a few deck boards. Anybody want to buy a house in Marion VA? I have to sell it in order to thruhike again next year.

I just received 2 new size samples from my manufacturer. The new xl has a larger Packcover and longer sleeves, but I doubt it would fit a 7000 ci pack. Is your pack external frame?
    CT
    Here's a standard fotog of my pack loaded for a 12 day trip for demonstration purposes. I'm pretty disgusted with pack covers, even when new they leak. And of course they don't keep water out between the pack and my back. You'd think after about 100 years of pack technology we'd have waterproof packs. Arcteryx Naos? Probably waterproof, but not Dana Designs or Mystery Ranch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post

CT
    your large fit over my 4400 golite pack but i was only filled to about 4000. id be interested in seeing your new ones for winter hiking to cover a ULA catalysis
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Default New Sizes

KK the packcover sizes are the same for the medium (which you have) and the small. Only the jacket part is smaller for the new smalls. The new xl does have a bigger packcover, but you would probably need smaller for your ULA.
    CT

++ New Posts ++